Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'mmmmm Baaaaaaack! Quick Question

Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'mmmmm Baaaaaaack! Quick Question

So where do I start? I bought my first JK back in 2010, it was a 2008 slightly used Rubicon and then I made it my own (see my signature for details). She rode well, straight as an arrow and since I did things right it felt like it was well put together. Fast forward to 2013 and that's when I had to sell her. The (new) wife and I had five kids in our blended family and I needed to get something with a third row. I remember the day I traded her into my local Chevy dealership, and when I went back to take my spare key a few days later I'd learned that the Sales Manager fell in love with it and bought it.

Anyhow, I owe a bunch of thanks to this forum. I learned everything I needed to do things right.

Fast forward to December 2016 - I dropped into my local Jeep dealership to test drive something with the Pentastar in it. The 3.8 was brutal, even after I had put the 5.38's in it, but I just wanted to get a taste of what the new engine had to offer. It also was time for me to get another car since my Chevy Volt (that's right I said Volt) lease was up. The Volt was great for commuting and all but when I told the kids the lease was up it quickly turned into a unanimous decision - "Dad, you have got to get another Jeep!". So there I was, in the Jeep dealership, and I had just test drove a used 2015 JKRU that was on the lot. Damn, what a difference.... In the end I pulled the trigger on a 2017 JKRU - it's so great to be back. So here she is in all her glory:

Kids are stoked. I'm stoked. My dog is stoked. Seriously. And this week I plan to install everything I ordered:

2.5 Terflex Coil Lift with Bilsteins
17" Fuel Anza Wheels
315/70/17 Duratracs
TPMS Sensors
Terflex Adjustable Trackbar
Rancho Drop Brackets for LCA's (The Newer Version)
Spiderweb Shade
Mopar Splashguard Floor Mats
AEV Procal (I'll use it to change settings and to center my steering wheel)

I guess my only real question is do you guys think I will have to get an alignment? Last time when I did the adjustable LCA's it was a nightmare - my TCS was always kicking on but went away once I got the caster all dialed in. But I'd read it's different with the drop brackets. And do I stick to the stock recommended setting that show up on the alignment sheet?

Keep in mind this is my DD - 40 mile commute in shitty Bay Area traffic. Most 4 Wheelin will be on my way to Tahoe or some of the local trails to my some of my fishing spots.

Again, big thanks to this forum, it's great to be back!

And as always - all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by sanjosebass; 01-09-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good to have you back in a jeep

Sounds like this isn't your first mod session. Assuming you had issues with the ESP because of the drag link needing a little tweaking. Mine kicks on every once in a great while, but not regularly.

The procal is supposed to help with this I thought as well, not sure control arms would cause handling issues unless they are truly in the wrong position.

Can't wait to see the build! Post more pictures as she comes along.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime you do a lift it's always good to dial in the LCA's. Welcome back!!!

Also with 5 kids if your interested they do have 3rd row aftermarket kits. This way everyone can enjoy the Jeep.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

It sounds like you'll be using the stock control arms and using the drop bracket for geometry correction. If that's the case there's really no adjustment except toe and steering center, other than different holes on the brackets for different lift heights?
It wouldn't be a bad thing to get an alignment "check", but I wouldn't pay for a full alignment since there's not that much they can adjust.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

I know with the old brackets (one hole), average caster with the TF 2.5" lift was 5-5.5°
I would start there if you know which hole to use.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you know how to check your tire pressure so I would say save a couple hundred bucks and some aggravation and scrap the TPMS and use your ProCal to turn it off
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
I assume you know how to check your tire pressure so I would say save a couple hundred bucks and some aggravation and scrap the TPMS and use your ProCal to turn it off
Got the sensors on Amazon for $53 bucks. I assumed I'd make it back when I sold the originals in the stock wheels and tires. I'll use the procal to lower the PSI warning threshold. All good stuff.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

All done! Thanks for the help! Might take her into my local alignment shop just to report back where the caster is at with the Rancho drop brackets and check the toe. She drives real nice, happy with the bilsteins TF lift.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sanjosebass

Kids are stoked. I'm stoked. My dog is stoked. Seriously.
This part of your thread made me laugh the most. Lol.. Welcome back!

Quick Reply: I'mmmmm Baaaaaaack! Quick Question