Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressive New JK Bolt-On Brake Kit

Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
I stole this from another forum. It's the list of part numbers to upgrade to the larger European/Australian spec 13.25" factory brake rotors/calipers, for those looking for an OEM solution.

68040177AA - 13.25" Rotor 119.00 ea
68044865AA - Caliper Adaptor 37.10 ea
68044863AA - RH Caliper 63.45
68044862AA - LH Caliper 63.45

Total $439.10

A more "all inclusive" list of OEM parts from another site;

68044865AA ADAPTER, DISC BRAKE CALIPER $27.99 x2
68049018AA PIN KIT, DISC BRAKE $6.99 x2
68044862AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY RIGHT $70.99 x1
68044863AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY LEFT $70.99 x1
68044866AA (new) 68044866AC PAD KIT FRONT $152.99 x1
68040177AA 13" ROTOR FRONT BRAKE $85.99 x2
68045998AB Master Cylinder new# 68091278AB $101.99 x1
68045999AB BOOSTER, Power Brake $121.99 x1
That's probably from the thread I started over on another site. One of my club members did this conversion and we documented it. She searched all the Forums, collected the part numbers, determined most are used on other Mopar products and ordered them accordingly out of a dealer in Texas. What she learned was if she tried to order these and said she had a JK, the order would be cancelled. If the parts were ordered for a Dodge Nitro, etc., the order went through and they shipped the parts.

I assisted her with the installation, was an utter piece 'o cake. I have the Teraflex BBK and the larger Master Cylinder. The performance of the BR6 on her rig, which is on 35s vs mine on 37s, was comparable and a major improvement over the stock configuration. She ordered the BR6 master, but we didn't install it as the brake performance was excellent without the changeover. The BR6 caliper is similar, but the caliper support is different and prvents using the stock one. Pads look differet, but stock pads will fit the BR6 caliper . (Used on Dodge Nitro.) Essentially, Jeep just uses a larger rotor and moves the same caliper outward to increase braking leverage,. Similar approach is taken by Teraflex on their "Big Rotor" kit, and aparently by Dynatrac on their new setup. Jeep should just put the BR6 parts on the JK at the factory and be done with it.

Last edited by SoK66; 11-27-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
That's probably from the thread I started over on another site. One of my club members did this conversion and we documented it. She searched all the Forums, collected the part numbers, determined most are used on other Mopar products and ordered them accordingly out of a dealer in Texas. What she learned was if she tried to order these and said she had a JK, the order would be cancelled. If the parts were ordered for a Dodge Nitro, etc., the order went through and they shipped the parts.

I assisted her with the installation, was an utter piece 'o cake. I have the Teraflex BBK and the larger Master Cylinder. The performance of the BR6 on her rig, which is on 35s vs mine on 37s, was comparable and a major improvement over the stock configuration. She ordered the BR6 master, but we didn't install it as the brake performance was excellent without the changeover. The BR6 caliper is similar, but the caliper support is different and prevents using the stock one. Pads look different, but stock pads will fit the BR6 caliper . (Used on Dodge Nitro.) Essentially, Jeep just uses a larger rotor and moves the same caliper outward to increase braking leverage,. Similar approach is taken by Teraflex on their "Big Rotor" kit, and apparently by Dynatrac on their new setup. Jeep should just put the BR6 parts on the JK at the factory and be done with it.
Funny how things go in circles with information on the web, isn't it? I appreciate your input and that of 14 Sport, who have both done JK brake upgrades. At the moment I am on the fence on whether to do the Teraflex rotor and bracket change, or the BR6 swap (I have access to a Nitro VIN). I know I do want to upgrade my braking performance, but which? The Teraflex rotors are readily available, which is nice and they aren't really bank breakers. Well, I've completely derailed this thread now!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the same boat at my 13 has 35k miles with 35s. I had to do a "panic" stop yesterday and it was horrible. I had both feet on the Pedal and it just kinda came to a stop. I really want all new brakes and calipers. I'm not even sure where to start. My 392 Challenger has Brembos and they will literally throw you through the windshield but I think they are very expensive for the JK.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
How is the braking? Was there a huge improvement?
With my 35s, yes. I had to make a quick stop from 60 MPH when a yellow came on just a second too early for me to go through. The nose dove deeper than stock and I had plenty of room to spare before reaching the intersection. It would have been tight with the stock brakes.

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
What pads did you end up with? Did you swap your rear pads too, as that seems to me the extent of a rear upgrade. I looked again and the rotors I was looking at were Omix-Ada, I know they're an OEM manufacturer but their description does not give the rotor diameter; 13.25" or 13"?
I went with the Mopar pads listed in the parts list. Rear is still all stock. I know Crown makes a stock equivalent to the part number for the rotors in the parts list. However, they measure 13" and not 13.25" but still work.

Originally Posted by Challenger392
Im in the same boat at my 13 has 35k miles with 35s. I had to do a "panic" stop yesterday and it was horrible. I had both feet on the Pedal and it just kinda came to a stop. I really want all new brakes and calipers. I'm not even sure where to start. My 392 Challenger has Brembos and they will literally throw you through the windshield but I think they are very expensive for the JK.
That's a scary situation with big tires and heavy armor. That's why I upgraded right after getting my wheels.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked out Northridge 4x4 to see what they had for Black Friday specials

They have the Front Big Rotor kit on sale for $246.49 SHIPPED

They have the slotted version for approx $19 more.

My itchy fingers might just have to place the order tonight or tomorrow

Black Friday sales rule !!!! LOL

Last edited by LidLess07X; 11-28-2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Price correction
Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I just checked out Northridge 4x4 to see what they had for Black Friday specials

They have the Front Big Rotor kit on sale for $246.49 SHIPPED

They have the slotted version for approx $13 more.

My itchy fingers might just have to place the order tonight or tomorrow
I heard that slotted (and/or drilled) ones aren't good for mud. Not sure if that's a factor for you or even if it's true but that's what I heard.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I heard that slotted (and/or drilled) ones aren't good for mud. Not sure if that's a factor for you or even if it's true but that's what I heard.
Thank you for pointing that out. Mud isn't much of a concern for me but I'm sure it is for other members. I've heard the same thing about slotted/drilled rotors too.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I just ordered the slotted kit from Northridge

$265.19 shipped.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I just ordered the slotted kit from Northridge

$265.19 shipped.
Good deal! And you won't even have to bleed the brakes.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Yes, that's what I know.
Mud is soil grains and water. The grains are not soluble, are pretty hard, and can easily scratch the disc.
Dry grains fly off, mud sticks.
Slots or holes allow mud to get inside, where there's supposed to be free air flow. Removing dry mud from in there, is an unnecessary burden.
Sooner or later, even in dry regions, we cross some mud.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-28-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Impressive New JK Bolt-On Brake Kit