Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on D rated vs. E rated tires

Old 08-30-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 33's E rated BFG KO2's, i don't feel the ride being stiff, i've tried D and E tires before in other rigs as well, can't really tell the difference other than when the tire is aired down to 10psi, the D rated will kind of wrinkle, the E rated will not. I could tell the difference between C and D/E, but never between D and E, so i really don't bother too much with the load rating now days.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITS A JEEP! JEEPS RIDE ROUGH!

Just rub some Vagisil on it and get the Es. I run 285 E rated Coopers daily and 37" E rated Toyos when wheeling. The ride is fine. Remember, it's a Jeep, not a car!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeps ride more rough with incorrect tires. Why you would actually want this and brag about it is beyond me.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by hair2831
Jeeps ride more rough with incorrect tires. Why you would actually want this and brag about it is beyond me.
To justify his buying shit tires for the application.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by NLBeren
Look at the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s in 315 70 17. They are D rated, not terribly expensive. I just met with a MT rep at a 4 Wheel Parts event and he had good things to say about them. Great for everything but serious rocks where an E might be better.
Serious rock crawlers don't run E rated tires and may drop down to a 6 ply bias for max traction. Cut resistance on sidewalls has just as much to do with the rubber compound and thickness as it does number of plys. Fewer plys (softer sidewall) will flex more against a sharp rock and may even prevent cuts since it will mold around the obstacle vs a stiff sidewall that tends to push against the cutting object. Think about holding up a sheet of loose rubber and try to stab a hole in it with a knife, its nearly impossible to puncture. If you pull the rubber tight it will puncture rather easy.

Picking proper lines and paying attention to what you are doing will help reduce tire issues. IF you are just buying E rated tires because you are scared you are going to cut on so can just go out and ram into shit you might as well foam fill them as well so you can guarantee you won't get a flat.

Quick Reply: Input on D rated vs. E rated tires