Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Grab Bars. Wondering if anyone has cut their sun visors?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Grab Bars. Wondering if anyone has cut their sun visors?

I installed a set of grab bars for the front seats of my JK. Now I cannot push the sun visors all the way forward because they hit the grab bars on the side. I'd like to know if anyone has cut their visors to fit past their grab bars. And if so, what's the best method of keeping it looking nice.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-25-2016, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smith7200
I installed a set of grab bars for the front seats of my JK. Now I cannot push the sun visors all the way forward because they hit the grab bars on the side. I'd like to know if anyone has cut their visors to fit past their grab bars. And if so, what's the best method of keeping it looking nice.
Sorry don't know the answer, but wanted to say this is EXACTLY why I decided not to buy GraBars or the equivalent knock-offs when I read about this inconvenience.

Some commenters say who cares about pushing the visor all the way to the windshield, but it definitely matters to me to not lose full functionality of all my mods working together. Hoping to find a clever fix that isn't cutting off a chunk of the visor.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the knock-off brand, Safaripal. I've had zero issues with pushing my visors all the way to the windshield.
At a price of less than $90 for front and rear sets I think I got a great bargain compared to Gra-bars.

And NO WAY IN HELL would I ever consider cutting my visors to make Gra-bars fit.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Installed without issue

Hey Smith7200,
I too installed a set of grab bars on my 2016 JK this weekend. I had to re-install the passanger side because the visor was hitting but once I made a few adjustments everything fit fine. I did install a set of rubber washers just to minimize and potential vibrations.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had grabars on my 15 JKU and the visor hit it. I had to bend the end on the visor to get it to flip all the forward. What kind of adjustment did you make to get it to work? I want a set for my 16, just want it to work right.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine went in with no interference . 14 jk rubi

Sent using smoke signals
Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed Wild Boar myself and yes the visors are restricted fipping fully forward which tends to be a PIA since I am taller, just haven't taken the time to figure out a solution. By some of the responses it sounds like some of spacers and bolts maybe short on some of these handles that are being installed. I am pretty sure I have room to short both bolt and spacer and not bang my hand when going to grab the handle. Still prefer this type of grab over the velcro's that hang in the door and I smack my head on every time, daughter has them and teh reason I don't.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I would note that the Carolina Metal Masters version allows your visor to squeak right by if you don't run the ram mount on it. I went that route for that very reason. Ended up running to Ace and just buying a couple flange bolts to use in place of the ram and bolt that runs through it. That said, they are a decent bit pricier than the alternatives, but when driving in to the sun they are worth every penny. I had one too many close calls trying to get in/out of the jeep when in awkward positions. Now I have a nice sturdy handle to grab instead of the steering wheel!

CMM Offroad JK Billet Front Grab Handles ? Carolina Metal Masters
Old 09-26-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would note that the Carolina Metal Masters version allows your visor to squeak right by if you don't run the ram mount on it. I went that route for that very reason. Ended up running to Ace and just buying a couple flange bolts to use in place of the ram and bolt that runs through it. That said, they are a decent bit pricier than the alternatives, but when driving in to the sun they are worth every penny. I had one too many close calls trying to get in/out of the jeep when in awkward positions. Now I have a nice sturdy handle to grab instead of the steering wheel!

CMM Offroad JK Billet Front Grab Handles ? Carolina Metal Masters
any pics showing how there mounted? I just looked at mine again and no real way to adjust closer the pillar if I want to have to top bolt fastened.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
any pics showing how there mounted? I just looked at mine again and no real way to adjust closer the pillar if I want to have to top bolt fastened.
This is how the CCM handles mount. Sorry for the crappy pictures.....lighting was not good. I just did without the ram in the back and went with a flange bolt. The ram would definitely not allow the visor to clear. you can't even see the flange bolt so it doesn't look cheap or anything. They definitely sit a lot closer to the pillar than the Wild Boar handles do. As you can see in the one pic, the visor does contact just a bit as it slides by, but it does pass. I typically just bend it a bit to put it all the way to the windshield, but then it comes right back to the normal position with no extra effor due to the way it's bent. It's a little frustrating that the WIld Boar and some of the others don't accommodate the visor, cuz for $100, any product definitely should. Surely they could have come up with a slightly better design that wouldn't have cost a lot more. Apparenlty it's hit and miss on some of the other brands as others said the visor cleared ok. I'm really happy with the CCM model outside of having to pay up a decent bit. After a couple really close calls getting back in on a trail, it was time to add a secure handle to grip while getting back in.

Sorry, I've tried several times to correct this, but the site continues to rotate these pictures the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_171717.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	657479   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_171736.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	657480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_171641.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	657482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_171649.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	657483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_171758.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	657486  

Last edited by resharp001; 09-26-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed Grab Bars. Wondering if anyone has cut their sun visors?