Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Multiple Light Sets on a Jeep

Old 05-20-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Multiple Light Sets on a Jeep

I'm looking to do a 22 inch LED bar on the front bumper and then 2 LEDs spot lights on the pillar area.

Can I hook each of these up separately to the battery or does there have to be some mechanism for them to work?

Do I need to buy 2 wiring harness kits or do I need to buy one kit and modify it to work with both sets of lights?

I plan to do 2 switches in the interior as well if that makes a difference.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have an sPod, I'd recommend running relay'd harnesses. Definitely one harness for the light bar by itself. Depending on whether you're running LED or HID spots, you might need one or two harnesses for that. For LED spots, you should be fine with one harness running both lights. Anything with heavier amp draws, I'd run a separate harness for each, so each light has it's own relay, and then just hook up the switch leg together so you can operate them both off of one switch.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

I was thinking of a kit like this which comes with the relay and harness

Wiring Harness Kit for LED Work Light Bar with on Off Switch Relay Jeep 4WD | eBay

I just dont understand if I just hook up one kit for the led bar and then another kit for the spot lights which would be 2 kits hooked up to one battery.

I just have to make sure that the relay and fuse will work with the lights wattage outputs.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 PM
JK Newbie

My question I guess is can I add more than one set of leads to a battery?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran all my lights separate with NO spod or anything like it. I just used 3 dollar accessories relays and in-line fuses on each. All 3 bumper lights are on one switch, the rest separate. I used no pre-made wiring kits, just follow the instructions on the relay packaging

Attachment 611671

Attachment 611672
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

50" Hanma, 20" Hanma, 2 Blitzpro Hawk 6D cubes, 1 pair PIAA 520 w/85watt ion yellow bulbs

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1430265945440.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	611675

1 Blitzpro Hawk 6D cube

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1431743588440.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	611674
Old 05-21-2015, 01:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you can hook up multiple connections to the battery. You can either purchase harnesses (most lights come with them already) or make your own with a relay, switch, fuse, and wire. It's really not that hard. The key is to make sure all the components are rated properly.

You need to know the current in amps of the lights to properly size the components. If you do not have that information on the light itself, then you can calculate it using this formula...

Watts/Voltage=Amps.

This is how you can wire them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SPST Relay (+switched).jpg
Views:	9063
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	611704  

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-21-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can hook up more than one set of lights to one battery. That's no problem. Just make sure that the power wire and fuse you use for each is appropriate for the power consumption. Unless you're gonna go apes#hit with tons of lights, you don't need to add a second battery. Remember that safety is first. Do not skimp on the wiring. A fire out on the trail can ruin your day in very quick order. Post progress pics for us to see your setup.

Quick Reply: Installing Multiple Light Sets on a Jeep