Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal bypass shocks vs coilovers

Old 09-27-2016, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal bypass shocks vs coilovers

I'm in the process of upgrading my shocks on my 2015 JKUR. I'm currently running some bilstein 5100's that I'm not overly impressed with. My current suspension setup consist Rock Krawler X-factor arms and synergy progressive rate springs. I'm seriously considering going with internal bypass shocks but for about $1200 more I could do Fox coilovers. Any thoughts or opinions? Does anyone have experience with internal bypass shocks?
Thanks, any help/opinions would be great.
Anyone have any experience with the ARB BP-51 or Fox internal bypass shocks?

Last edited by SD_2015Rubi; 09-27-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed because I've been considering the same damn thing.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have neither.

Now that that's outta the way. I have a welder. For me, if you can make your own mounts and burn on some towers the money spent on the bypass shocks is negated for the adjustability of a coil over setup. The savings can be absorbed elsewhere.

With coil overs of course, there is a whole bunch of equipment that is attached to dial in what you're looking for as far as ride, on the road or off. We all use our rigs differently, and ride is 100% subjective.

If you will be needing to recharge that's another slightly additional cost.

For a bolt on no nonsense quality addition to the jeep, there are numerous bypass options out there. Don't think anyone forking out the dough will be unhappy with that choice. Have known guys who rocked elkas back in the day as well as fox remote res shocks. Their jeeps rode AMAZING.

As said above, this is my opinion, but very anxious to see what others running the different varieties have to say.

Once I swap axles I'm going coil overs. Only because I'll be doing all the work.

Cheers
Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Are you talking internal bypass shocks or a stand alone bypass shock? You can also do both in a coil over with internal bypass and compression adjusters. Ideally you run both the coil over and a separate bypass shock.

There are so many options out there and it really depends on the application.

The IBP is typically used in set ups that race and are not allowed to run an air bump, this is basically what you get a shock with a built in air bump stop so you don't bottom out hard.

A bypass shock will have adjustability in the compression and rebound to allow you to tune the shock to your driving style. Basic ones come with two bypasses and have seen up to 8 different tubes so you can maximize the tune by changing rates depending on where you are in the shock stroke. The ARB is a bypass shock with a single compression and rebound that is easily adjusted by turing the knob on the body.

A coil over shock will allow you to dial in height as well as give you a better ride by allowing you to run true dual or triple rate coils. You can get them in an IBP for the integrated bump stop and get compression adjusters for some fine tuning. Further tuning is achieved by taking the shock apart and changing valve stacks.

Going from 5100's (which I think is a poor shock to run) to a bypass or a coil over is a huge jump and you need to expect to take some time to tune the bypass or coil over shocks. They are not a bolt on and go set up even though there are a lot of people out there running coil overs that have no clue how to set them up or maintain them. like mentioned above it is recommended to have a fill kit for tuning the shocks or expect to spend some good money at a shop that knows what they are doing as far as tuning shocks. You can typically get into a fill kit for $300-$400.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

First off, thank you for the responses.
"TheDirtman", to answer your first question, I am talking about IBP shocks like the BP-51 or Fox-883-06-068 that are pretty much bolt-on vs Fox coil-overs that would require some fab work. The coilovers would not be internal bypass but would possibly have the CD adjusters.

I understand this would be a huge leap from the 5100's that I currently have. The 5100's were only meant to be temporary and one is leaking after only 10k miles. I did consider Fox 2.0 with reservoirs but I was told the ride wouldn't be the much different on road but I would see some improvement off-road, mostly with shock fade. Current my jeep rides rough on road and is only ok off-rode. My jeep is not my DD, but I do like to drive it a couple times week for pleasure and I certainly do off-road when I can. I goal is to have a suspension that is comfortable on road but very capable of handling open desert, fire roads and rock crawling. Now, I'm not looking pre-runner type speeds just the able to move a little faster.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I like the idea of having a true dual rate coil setup. What's the differance in the shock section of the coilover? Is it basically a 2.5" shock with reservoir?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

What would be the benefits of running internal bypass shocks? Does anyone actually have experience running them?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set waiting to be installed so can't comment on actual experience but reason I got them was for the benefit of coilover and bypass shock in one. Mine are king so a little different than the fox or the other ones you mentioned but the function of them is you get a progressive dampening towards the end of the stroke, the king have a tapered needle that increases the dampening force until full bottom out but unlike a hydraulic bump stop the rebound dampening is also progressive so it doesn't just spring back but holds it at full compression and releases slowly until the valving passes the needle then it goes back into its normal dampening rate. This is how an external bypass shock also works. There are videos on YouTube that explain all this.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The shock section of a coil over is the same as a regular shock and can be build with many options like IBP or compression adjusters. King even makes a hybrid coil over bypass shock. I am a king guy as well and don't follow fox as far as the differences in how they valve.

I stated above the IBP basically integrates a hydraulic bump stop into the shock for those that race in a class that does not allow you to use a hydraulic bump stop.
If you go to Kings website you can see some videos of how the bypass works. I looked up the Fox shock and they have a video showing how their internal bypass works. Both do the same thing just in a different design. Either one is really made for racing and you are not going to see much of a benefit on street rig or weekend crawler for what you are going to spend over buying set of coil overs or conventional shocks that are tuned for your ride. If money is not an issue for you then the IBP shock is a nice set up but if buying off the shelf from quadratic's stock is what you are going to do, don't expect great things by just throwing on a shock with a generic valving.

If you want to do it right then it is going to take a little work on your end and get some corner weights on your jeep as well as figure what your travel needs are as far as up travel and down travel. What type of use are you setting your jeep up for. These things will help set up the proper valving and coil rates to help tune your shocks so you get the best ride and performance from them. Ben at Filthy Motorsports will do you right if you would consider King shocks and there is another Vender on the forums that works with Fox shocks.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Accutune offroad is in SoCal and does custom fox tuning. I have never used them but they are the only Fox tuner I am aware of.

Quick Reply: Internal bypass shocks vs coilovers