Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep sways really bad

Old 12-27-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep sways really bad

Hello everyone. Im new to the site and had a question maybe some of you could give me advice on. I bought my wife a 2014 jk wrangler and had a 4 inch rough country lift put on it and also added 35"s tires. The question I have is if there is something I can do to prevent the swaying back and forth. The front end is all over the place and sways really bad. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most RC lifts are notoriously incomplete.

Specifically, which RC 4" lift do you have?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most likely not enuf castor.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

if there is something I can do to prevent the swaying back and forth
The steering feels flighty or floaty?
It darts to one side when hitting bumps?
It feels like there is excess body roll?

If you had it aligned, what are the caster and toe specs? And as planman asked, which specific kit. (which components are installed)
Old 12-27-2014, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

It does jump around when on a rough road. it also feels like it has lots of slack in the steering at all times.
This is what was installed from the lift. Thanks

Front
◾Lifted coil springs
◾Extended sway-bar links
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Pitman arm
◾Brake line relocation brackets
◾Shock relocation brackets
◾Hardware
Rear
◾Lifted coil springs
◾Coil correction plates
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Cam bolts
◾Brake line relocation brackets
◾Hardware
Shocks
◾(4) Performance 2.2 Series
Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The cam bolts were installed in the rear, not the front, and you have no caster correction? Hmm.

Have you actually verified that all components on that list are installed? (You can find pics in the install guide on RC's website.)

What is the caster? (low caster can cause flighty steering/wandering)

When hitting a bump, it darts to one side? (bumpsteer could be the drop pitman/trackbar bracket). Or is this just flighty steering, or overinflated tires, or ...

What do you mean by slack in the steering? You turn the steering wheel, and the tires don't move. You turn the steering wheel further, and finally the tires start turning?

How about loosening the control arm and trackbar bolts and shaking the jeep a few times, then torquing to spec?

What psi are you running in the 35's?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

I had similar issues with my 2012 4dr. It was a pro comp lift, but incomplete none the less. If you're on a budget, go with the AEV drop brackets and a aftermarket front trackbar. These helped a ton for me. I eventually scraped the whole kit, but that was more for changes in the direction of my build over ride quality. You should see a pretty good improvement by correcting caster and stiffening up the trackbar.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Do you want to spend a bunch of money to properly set it up at 4" or do yourself a favor and drop it down to a 2" lift and save some coin? I would encourage you to read the red link at the bottom of my post.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To complete what RC left out, to avoid damaging your steering box, and to regain good handling, you are looking at another $1k-$2k+.

Read Dirtman's thread.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DERMDERM
Hello everyone. Im new to the site and had a question maybe some of you could give me advice on. I bought my wife a 2014 jk wrangler and had a 4 inch rough country lift put on it and also added 35"s tires. The question I have is if there is something I can do to prevent the swaying back and forth. The front end is all over the place and sways really bad. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
i put a 4 in lift on my wifes 2014 jk. it was a ready lift. it did flit around a lot . i then did a toein aligment and all is good now. i set it for 1/8 in toein from 1/2 in.

Last edited by mudlake1; 12-28-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Jeep sways really bad