Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep wander!

Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wander!

It's been awhile since I posted but I wanted to get back with the ppl who was helping me to solve my problem of jeep wander. So I have a Tera flex spacer leveling kit and am running 33/12.50/17 so before I leveled the jeep with the stock wheels the jeep liked to wander now the roads I drive on are pretty bad so lots of crowning in the road from coal trucks. I know this is a major factor in my problem so now that I have the wider wheels it is worse so I bought a monster trackbar to help the jeep also had good bit of play in the wheel the track bar seemed to help after the install taking a good bit of play out of the wheel. you could drive this thing with one hand and no drama now 2 weeks later I'm sawing at the wheel all over again seems like any imperfection in the road my jeep takes a mind of its own and darts left or right. I'm thinking of getting the fox stabalizer. Would this fix the problem?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First get under your jeep and make sure everything is torqued to spec. Control arm bolts, track bar bolts, draglink and tie rod bolts one of my draglink bolts was loose at the knuckle and my jeep would be all over the place, next make sure your axle is centered and your front tires are toed in about an 1/8 of an inch. Mostly likely something is loose. Or have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the steering components making sure no movement at the bushing.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

So I checked all the bolts good to go however I had my gf move the wheel back and forth and notice the control arms would move a little each time but the bushing looked to be ok is this normal I also notice since they are bolted to the front axle that it wiggled a little as well?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijahjk
So I checked all the bolts good to go however I had my gf move the wheel back and forth and notice the control arms would move a little each time but the bushing looked to be ok is this normal I also notice since they are bolted to the front axle that it wiggled a little as well?
This is likely axel shift due to the flimsy stock track bar. It is normal, and not really a worry. YouTube Teraflex's video for installing their HD trackbar. They demonstrate this pretty well.

Running a 33 it will probably shift some, but it is really up to you if it bothers you or not. Most people just run the stock one unless they go bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember but just make sure they are torqued to 125 and the uppers that are attached to the frame are 85 I think

The track bar has to be at 125 ft lb I believe even a 5 ft lb less can affect it and give you death wobble.

Re balance your tires as well I honestly can't think of anything else
Old 07-19-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too had a spacer lift/leveling kit.
I hated it for all the reasons you are describing.
Once I got castor dialed in the rig went straight as an arrow.
There are many ways to go about it... relocation brackets, control arms, adjustable control arms... some say cam bolts...
In my situation, I also had driveshaft harmonics, so, I went with CV shafts(which fixed that), which required pinion angle adjustments... I said frig it and went with 8 adj. control arms to center the axles in the wheel well, dial pinion and get castor corrected.
Rig goes straight as an arrow and is vibration free.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor

Default Jeep Wander

Many good points brought up already. First, again confirm that nothing is loose. Tera makes a few different spacer kits, how much lift did you net after installing the spacers? I know you mentioned 33x12.50R17, but I'm curious what tires you are running?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

yes I just installed the monster track bar and was amazed the difference it made you could drive it down the road with one hand on the wheel no drama! within two weeks it wants to dart left or right but like I said this could be the crowning in the road. these are some of the worst roads and I have noticed uneven roads make it unpredictable also if there would be a dip in the road say right side I have noticed the jeep will dart right so it makes me think the junk stock stabilizer is the problem and not doing its job. after installing the track bar and centering the axle would this shift my toe out?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

wow mike H 8 control arms sounds $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Your toe is only changed by your tie rod. The track bar doesn't change that.

Your stabilizer will not do anything for you. I removed mine and run 33's like you do- the jeep does its thing.

Quick Reply: Jeep wander!