Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerry Cans or Rotopax?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the technology of the roto paks

But the Jerry can is cheaper if you can find them

I went with the metal traditional cans

Matthew
Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Jerry cans are classic looking; that's why I went with them. But, I'm the kind of guy who thinks LED lights are for tuner cars, not Jeeps. Sometimes I'm willing to let the classic look of a Jeep overrule the more modern and perhaps even better performing.

Me photographing my Jeep. LOL.

Attachment 510544

Funny you mention that... because I have the same feeling about LEDs. I have a hard time convincing myself that LED bars look good on a Jeep (any Jeep)... I have no doubt that technically they are better (how they are built is another story...). I'm definitely leaning towards jerry cans and classing lights when the time comes.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by takion
Funny you mention that... because I have the same feeling about LEDs. I have a hard time convincing myself that LED bars look good on a Jeep (any Jeep)... I have no doubt that technically they are better (how they are built is another story...). I'm definitely leaning towards jerry cans and classing lights when the time comes.
for the most part they are not technically better. A good 6" housing with an HID kit will light up way better than an LED bar.

for the can situation, if you have more than one rig like me, the rotopax is a great setup!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What the heck, I'll chime in.

I really like a lot about the Rotopax, but it all comes down to capacity. My Crown Jerry cans hold 5.5 gallons x 2 = 11 gals of extra fuel. The Rotopax are 4 Gals each, so 8 for two. That extra 3 gals is worth it to me.

Rotopax also seem expensive to me for what you get, then again, I guess the jerry cans are too.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 11-10-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me its about the capacity. Sometimes I am a long way from a fuel station and the extra gallons would make the difference from me riding or walking.

If you prefer a plastic can over a metal one you could go with Scepter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scepter_can_FIG2.resized.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	510764
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
for the most part they are not technically better. A good 6" housing with an HID kit will light up way better than an LED bar.

for the can situation, if you have more than one rig like me, the rotopax is a great setup!
Sure, I don't disagree with the fact that HIDs could light up better than LEDs... and they definitely look better in my opinion. By technically better I was basically referring to lower consumption, longer chip life, no need to wait until the optimal temperature is reached...
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
For me its about the capacity. Sometimes I am a long way from a fuel station and the extra gallons would make the difference from me riding or walking.

If you prefer a plastic can over a metal one you could go with Scepter.

Attachment 510764
Good point. I didn't know about the plastic Jerry cans... In any case, I think I would get them in metal. Thanks for the picture though.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

One thing I do not like about the Rotopax's is they swell in the heat and the nozzle if fragile and brakes easily.
That and their customer service sucks...called them 3 times trying to get a replacement and each time was promised a return call and that they would ship a new one..I finally gave up.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

I bought this steel Nato can on ebay, no leaks!

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	503
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	531652

The mount I made myself

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	424
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	531654Click image for larger version

Name:	image (5).jpg
Views:	444
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	531655

of course I had to paint it to match the jeep
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CT2
One thing I do not like about the Rotopax's is they swell in the heat and the nozzle if fragile and brakes easily.
That and their customer service sucks...called them 3 times trying to get a replacement and each time was promised a return call and that they would ship a new one..I finally gave up.
That's all I need to know. They're to expensive for their volume.

Quick Reply: Jerry Cans or Rotopax?