Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jk 4dr front end clunking and jerking while driving

Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk 4dr front end clunking and jerking while driving

I was in 4lo going backwards over a snow berm the plowers made. My jeep slide to the right and I heard a clunk! Now while driving home I noticed a clunking and slight jerk of the front end.
If I switch into 2hi I still get the clunking

I have 5.13 G2 gears
35in mud tires
Automatic

I'm thinking axle shaft or u joint or the gears.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds about right. Check for play on the shafts at the U-joints (or visible damage such as a cap came off). Check your driveshaft for play and damage. Then drain front diff, not because the fluid needs changing, but to check if there are metal chunks on the magnetic plug.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Sounds about right. Check for play on the shafts at the U-joints (or visible damage such as a cap came off). Check your driveshaft for play and damage. Then drain front diff, not because the fluid needs changing, but to check if there are metal chunks on the magnetic plug.

So today i lifted my JK up and the u-joints look fine. when i turn the tire the front drive shaft sometimes turns life it should and other times locked up almost and then breaks free. i think for sure its my BRAND NEW G2 AXLE GEARS!!!! and a professional diff an trans shop installed them. they only have about 2k miles on them . BS. i opened the nut on the front diff cover and the gear oil looks ginda grey
Old 01-30-2016, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
So today i lifted my JK up and the u-joints look fine. when i turn the tire the front drive shaft sometimes turns life it should and other times locked up almost and then breaks free. i think for sure its my BRAND NEW G2 AXLE GEARS!!!! and a professional diff an trans shop installed them. they only have about 2k miles on them . BS. i opened the nut on the front diff cover and the gear oil looks ginda grey
Identical symptoms I had when I chipped a couple teeth off my front ring gear.

https://youtu.be/JbNj_MIY-Ho

I just uploaded that, mine only bound up in reverse but thinking of yours it seems it could also be the pinion bearing.

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 01-30-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Identical symptoms I had when I chipped a couple teeth off my front ring gear.

https://youtu.be/JbNj_MIY-Ho

I just uploaded that, mine only bound up in reverse but thinking of yours it seems it could also be the pinion bearing.
When i lifted it up i checked for play in the front end. looking for any clicking or movement back and forth with the tires. and nothing. it just doesnt seem right given the G2 axle gears are top of the line. maybe its my Dana 30 front. i should change it to a D44. lol
Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is what it looked like

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160211_163343.png
Views:	131
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	637320
Old 02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
This is what it looked like

Attachment 637320
Ouch sorry that sucks. In the future try to avoid putting any load on your jeep while in reverse as you are riding on the weak side of the r & p
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

it just doesnt seem right given the G2 axle gears are top of the line.
I thought this was humorous, given the picture that followed. Aren't G2 gears coming out of the same plant in Asia as most of the others? Same manufacturing, just a different name on the box?

At least you'll know to be careful in reverse next time.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Ouch sorry that sucks. In the future try to avoid putting any load on your jeep while in reverse as you are riding on the weak side of the r & p
Any load? That's kind of unrealistic, isn't it? You're kind of forced to use reverse with a load in many off-road situations.

It's can't be that prone to destruction. Must be other things at play.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Any load? That's kind of unrealistic, isn't it? You're kind of forced to use reverse with a load in many off-road situations. It's can't be that prone to destruction. Must be other things at play.
I just assumed going backwards over a snow bank meant she was trying to climb a snow bank with her tires spinning and chassis bouncing. You know......load. Not talking about backing up on a trail to correct a line which is the only time I use reverse offroad and really is the only time it should be used unless you like showing off

Quick Reply: jk 4dr front end clunking and jerking while driving