Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK aftermarket exhaust sounds (Gibson)

Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK aftermarket exhaust sounds (Gibson)

I once owned a GMC Yukon, and I had a Gibson exhaust installed on it. It was the toughest sounding exhaust that I've heard. To me, it was perfect. If you stood next to the pipe at idle you could just hear it's low drown. In the cab it was quiet. When you hit the gas, it was just enough to let you know that the engine was breathing easy. The tone was VERY low. The truck did have 3" pipes all the way through, and I'm sure that this helped with giving such a low tone. Yes I know that is all subjective, but it happens to be what I would like my JK to sound like.

Since I'm clearly a Gibson fan, I stopped in at Gibson Exhaust in Corona Ca. today. I spoke with David, a very helpful sales guy. He told me that they take a little time to get the exhaust sounds posted on their website. It has to get to the web company, yada, yada, yada...

He asked that I call him on Jan 5, and ask him to remind the guys that can get the sounds posted. Hopefully he can push this through for us.

I asked how they design their exhaust systems, in regards to sound. I asked if it's become trendy to have that Baja racer sound (Baja sounds ricey to me). He told me, no they absolutely design their exhaust to have a low of a tone as possible. The other factors are performance and loudness. Primary concern at Gibson is performance. Interestingly, he told me that in some cases, they refuse to even make an exhaust for some models of trucks. His example was the Escalade. They will not make a dual exhaust for the Escalade, as it is just too loud. Any way, I thought that this stuff was fairly interesting.

Now for some questions. Has anybody installed the Gibson exhaust and how does it sound. If your in So Cal, I sure would appreciate the opportunity to her your ride. Or any other low toned exhaust for that matter. Any opinions on other exhausts would be appreciated too. How loud; can you hear it in the cab, while driving down the highway at 60 MPH? What is the tone like? Some people use the term throaty. Throaty to me sounds like a Baja racer. Am I totally out of line with that description?

Quick Reply: JK aftermarket exhaust sounds (Gibson)