Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you saw the comments of the "problems" that they have, then what is your question???? I have not see any problems on them yet.

Originally Posted by newjkman
I own a 2013 Jk 2D with an automatic transmission. I have seen several comments on this site saying they are junk. What is the problem with them?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
I have to agree with scubatech. This transmission was designed to be matted to a Hemi. Smooth shifts, no searching for the right gear, etc. No complaints with my 2012
+1

Love my 2012 Auto, really starting to dislike my 2012 manual.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 2012+ auto is fantastic from what I hear, it's the 2007-2011 autos that are just... well they're not bad exactly, they do tend to run hot, but they're just so OLD (like the old engine), and that I think is what puts a lot of people off of them.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say it is a great tranny,, it drives nice and shifts fast; however,,, let me be the one who tells of its problem. My '12 had 2,500 miles on it when I pulled into a local parking lot. after parking, I had to reverse so another car could get by me. I reversed, stopped, then put it in drive to re park it. When I put it in drive the engine just revved and didn't go anywhere. After playing with the shifter I finally got it to move,, problem was,,, when it moved it was indicated to be in neutral. Long story short,,,, My planetary gear completely blew! Dealership said it could have been poor machining right from the factory. They did cover it due to the low miles,, even though I had just completed my lift and put on the 37's 200 miles prior. It has been working great for the last 2k,,, I hope it stays that way,,, considering the dealer said if it happens again they most likely wont cover it a second time. I'm still nervouse it might go out again.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

In responce to 4x4chick. I don't think you read my thread correctly. I have over the last couple of months read a lot on this site, and on several occasions people have poped off with the automatic is junk. So being a new 2013 2D owner with an automatic I wanted to know myself what are the so called problems related to the automatic? After reading the replies I'm not to worried now. I am very happy with my new Jeep, and I think it's great!

Thanks !
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newjkman
In responce to 4x4chick. I don't think you read my thread correctly. I have over the last couple of months read a lot on this site, and on several occasions people have poped off with the automatic is junk. So being a new 2013 2D owner with an automatic I wanted to know myself what are the so called problems related to the automatic? After reading the replies I'm not to worried now. I am very happy with my new Jeep, and I think it's great!

Thanks !
She comes across rude many times..... Just from previous posts I've read on other threads... I just roll my eyes now.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

i went from a 2010 6 spd manual rubi with 4.10s to a 2012 auto. 2 dr also with 4.10s. i find the auto shifts late but maybe its just me.
with a slow steady acceleration, when does your auto shift from 1st to 2nd? Mine seems to shift around 3000 rpm but i find that a bit high.
Maybe that's why my consumption suscks so bad. I thought it would be better due to the new engine and the fact that its a few hundred pounds lighter.
any input?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scubatech

There isn't anything wrong with the WA580 that I know of. Mine works great and it's a big improvement over the previous unit Jeep used. They tend to have a soft shift and being full electronic you can't just throw any gear ratio/tire combo on it without correcting for the changes or the transmission won't shift properly. Dodge uses it in the 1/2 ton with V8, so it's pretty robust.
Dodge uses the 545rfe behind the truck v8 but does used the wa580 behind the challenger and charger equipped with hemi. Different internals though if I remember correctly
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only complaint that I have with my 2012 auto is when I start accelerating slowly from a stop as if I'm trying to be conservative with the gas consumption. The transmission shifts too soon and causes the engine to hesitate until it gets more rpms. The transmission acts like it should downshift to get the rpms back up, but it doesn't. It holds second gear until the rpms are high enough for the shift to 3rd, but the torque isn't really enough to keep the jeep moving forward without hesitation. If I start off with a little more gas pedal, there isn't an issue because the transmission waits to shift until the rpms are higher.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine acts like it is hesitant to shift. Rpms will drop but it doesn't shift. Kinda surges and acts funny. Hope jeep figures it out next week. Only 2500 miles. 2013 jku

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problems?