Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig

+1

Love my 2012 Auto, really starting to dislike my 2012 manual.
Traded My 2013 manual for an auto and haven't looked back

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-03-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Sometimes, when in 4lo, shifting into drive, nothing happens, like it is in neutral. Shift in reverse and back and away we go. A friend has had the same experience with his 2013, but the dealer hasn't been able to duplicate.

Could be exciting on a trail with sharp switchbacks where you have to go back and forth a few time to get around.

I'll mention it to the dealer when I take it in for oil and filter and maybe the tranny recall.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SnoBear
Sometimes, when in 4lo, shifting into drive, nothing happens, like it is in neutral. Shift in reverse and back and away we go. A friend has had the same experience with his 2013, but the dealer hasn't been able to duplicate.

Could be exciting on a trail with sharp switchbacks where you have to go back and forth a few time to get around.

I'll mention it to the dealer when I take it in for oil and filter and maybe the tranny recall.

Mine did the exact same thing on a trip recently, mine did it when I shifted out of 4lo into 4high it seemed like it was being held back by a tank..put in park wait a few and then back into drive it worked fine.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only problem I have is in 4 low it refuses to shirt from reverse to forward quickly. Takes a while...
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newjkman
In responce to 4x4chick. I don't think you read my thread correctly. I have over the last couple of months read a lot on this site, and on several occasions people have poped off with the automatic is junk. So being a new 2013 2D owner with an automatic I wanted to know myself what are the so called problems related to the automatic? After reading the replies I'm not to worried now. I am very happy with my new Jeep, and I think it's great!

Thanks !
Perhaps you could point us to some of these threads you are talking about. The question you are asking is pretty vague and useless without context.

It's like saying.. "I've seen several people say the new Wranglers are junk, why is that?"

Well, WHO is saying that?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Yep exactly the same problem happened with me last weekend out wheeling did it quite a few times.. at least 5. Also had it slip out of gear going up a steep hill somehow and end up in neutral with the shift in D. Had to go back into P and back to D to get a gear again. I had it in some mud during the day so thought I may have ingested some crap and just needed a fluid change.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rizzo22
Traded My 2013 manual for an auto and haven't looked back

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
me too 13' manual to a 14' auto!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me all the time too. I notice it most on quick changes from drive to reverse or the other way around. Almost rolled over the edge the other day when I was expecting reverse and hold control to engage.

Other than that, I love the transmission so far.

Last edited by Flywrangler; 02-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

My tranny doesn't like to shift into reverse when in 4lo. It works great in 2wd and seems ok in 4hi. Seems like other people are having a similar issue. I wonder what gives?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 12 jku is at the dealer now with trans issues 25.5k on the odometer. I went wheeling this weekend and after leaving the trail the trans went into limp mode, no 4th or 5th gear. Set a code p1731, cleared the the code and the only thing I was able to do was to get it to be able to manually shifted from 1st to 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problems?