Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep is back from the dealer, so there is an issue with the circuit board in the trans. It seems that they are having some issues with early 12 models. The board is not serviceable , valve body needs replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich
Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 auto, 10,000 miles, nothing but smooth sailing here so far, (knock on wood) but I love it and the acceleration is awesome. 3.21 gears for now, stock everything. For now

Sent from my Apple using iPhone.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Ever since I went to 37's regeared (4:88) and calibrated my auto it likes to hold gears too long. Especially 3rd and 4th under light to normal acceleration. I recently installed a Magneson supercharger and it's off the charts bad now. It will literally hold 4th gear at 5000 rpm's at about a 1/4 throttle until I let my foot completely off the gas. Then it finally shifts into 5th. It was never been this bad before. I assume part of the problem is the disconnecting of the battery and resetting the "learning" portion of the PCM. I first thought it was all related to the "tune" for the blower but because the problem was there before (just not as bad) I am leaning towards the continuous learning that I have read these vehicles do. I am super frustrated with that because we tool around slowly near the dunes where we wheel at or we are running WOT in the sand. It must confuse the hell out of the computer. I am always going from one extreme to another with it.

I would be okay with using the manual mode but that thing is absolutely worthless too. I was surprised to see that some people actually like it. The only thing it does is hold whatever gear you are in (that is of course until you hit redline and it up shifts for you anyway). If you try to up shift early under heavy or full throttle; say around 5000 rpm's it will hold the gear until it redlines anyway then up shifts. If you want to hold 2nd for example at, let's say 3300 rpm's then floor it, it will downshift to 1st on its own then return to 2nd where you had it in the first place. So I am still trying to figure exactly what the hell manual mode is even there for besides accidentally bumping the ridiculous left to right slap shifter and putting it in the wrong gear. Sorry for ranting I am just frustrated with the newer vehicles thinking and driving for me and not being able to turn all this crap off like the stability control, traction control, TPMS sensors, etc. The tuner that came with the Magneson does let me shut off some of these things but first I have to click my heals together 3 times, turn key on, wait, off then wait, spin in a circle twice, wait some more, then my instrument panel lights up like a Xmas tree until I turn my Jeep off and then the process starts all over again.

Yes after all my bitching I do have a question. does anybody know of a tuner that would "unlock" the manual mode on the transmission? Unfortunately there is not any transmission settings within the Diablo Trinity tuner that I have. It is probably an absolute pipe dream since it is becoming painfully apparent to me that I will need to acquire an M.I.T. degree to actually drive my Jeep. I am all for automatic transmissions but I am seriously regretting not buying a manual. I had no idea the programming / mapping had gotten so out of hand.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One problem I am aware of and experience time to time on my 2012 is when shifting from low-range to high range. The dealer has admitted to the problem as well and it is a programing issue that does not have a fix yet. When you shift into low-range the trans defaults to 2nd or 3rd(can remember off hand), once you shift back to high range the trans will still hold the 2nd/3rd gear, and will not shift out even when placed in reverse. The problem can be intermittent, the only way I have found to avoid the problem is to manually down shift the trans to 1st before shifting back to high range. Kind of annoying considering how much these things cost.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on these issues? Went wheeling couple of weeks ago, in 4-lo, had issues with switching between D and R. Would get stuck. Also happens when its really cold, just started, and I switch from D to N and then try to go back to D. Goes nowhere.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hothondaguy
Mine did the exact same thing on a trip recently, mine did it when I shifted out of 4lo into 4high it seemed like it was being held back by a tank..put in park wait a few and then back into drive it worked fine.
I have the same issue! First time I took it offroading I ran into this problem...I could not get it to release! My TCS lights came on, and the truck was tripping out bad doing the crab walk. It fixed it the same way you all did. I havent had many trucks, other than my old 99 Ram with a 360, and it had similar issues. It's a tight tranny!

As for other issues....I cant say I have any either. I love it!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Bumping up this thread again, I've been having some issues with my '12 lately also. I was pulling onto the interstate and the transmission wouldn't catch 4th gear, leaving me on the on-ramp pushing 4000 RPMs and not being able to go faster than 40mph. I started feathering the throttle and it finally caught after 10 second or so. This is the 3rd time it's happened to me in the past 10 days, I'll be taking it to the dealership Thursday.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Happened on my 14. If its the same issue, the Dealer should re-flash / upgrade the tranny ecu code & it will re-learn the shift patterns. Mine's been fine ever since. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is way I like the old 42rle transmission you can fix the transmission getting hot by adding a transmission cooler .THE issues the new transmissions are having just scares me that's why I haven't traded and probably won't .
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sound after changing the oil

Yesterday I took my car to autoshop to change the transmission oil and filter. While driving after 10 min of changing I heared unusual sound. I return back to them but they said that they need to open the transmission. I asked an expert and he said that this sound came because the oil changed while the transmission still hot. Do you think this could be the reason??

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problems?