Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Weatherproofing

Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Weatherproofing

Hey guys, new to Jeeping and wanted to ask a questing about weatherproofing my JK. Tried searching, but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. Other than seat covers and carpet removal, is there anything else I need to do so I can run no doors year round and not have to worry about tub rust, mildew and other unpleasantries? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CopperSabre
Hey guys, new to Jeeping and wanted to ask a questing about weatherproofing my JK. Tried searching, but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. Other than seat covers and carpet removal, is there anything else I need to do so I can run no doors year round and not have to worry about tub rust, mildew and other unpleasantries? Thanks!
Where do you live? South Florida? Doors off year round?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

You could Rhino line the whole Jeep and pull your plugs.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

LOL. No, I live in Raleigh, NC. I'm just mental I guess. I've had a few convertibles in the past and would drop the top in the winter providing there was no freezing precipitation. I'm having trouble committing to the whole rhino lining thing. If someone does a poor job, it seems like it would be an irreversible mess.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in roughly the same area as you and all i did to some what weather proof my jeep was strip the carpet out and get some neoprene seat covers to help the seats. During the summer i almost never have the top up so i just pull the drain plugs so if it does rain it all just drains straight out. Oh but if you do strip the carpet out get some slush mats or something to protect your feet from the heat of the exhaust that runs right under the driver seat if you drive barefoot at all. learned that the hard way since i had a shop make me an exhaust that tucks up really close to the body

Last edited by RUBINON; 07-31-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man I tell ya.....Bedrug makes some nice carpet replacements. Two options....the kind that looks and feels like carpet or the kind that looks like a bed liner. Both are 100% waterproof, dries quickly and they guarantee they won't stain, mold or mildew.

As far as seat covers go, I would highly recommend Trek Armor. They are water proof and fit like a glove.

And have you thought about a cover? Check out Rain Gear covers. They're very hand to have around.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Good suggestions guys. Thanks. Question on the Bedrugs, if they are waterproof and water happens to get under them, wouldn't it trap the water and rust the tub? I don't have any experience with them.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also considering all the issues I've read about the clock spring, I would find a way to at least cover that up along with the dash. Something like a condom...

Dashboard Condom - Patent Pending 61/844,496
Old 08-02-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CopperSabre
Good suggestions guys. Thanks. Question on the Bedrugs, if they are waterproof and water happens to get under them, wouldn't it trap the water and rust the tub? I don't have any experience with them.
You are probably right. You'd have to pull out the areas where water would sit and dry it up - just like you'd have to do with the factory carpet or any other mat you put down. The good thing about the Bedrug is it won't stink afterwards.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd be crazy to "REGULARLY" leave any JK open to rainstorms -- mine has been through a few storms and it does sun dry after ... but... the electrics will get wet and need time to dry out.

Ive no long-lasting problems after rain, but on occasion after getting wet : the horn has a mind of its own (fun driving around town with the horn alarm intermittently blarring), and the radio wont flip channels.

Last edited by westchester; 08-04-2015 at 01:11 PM.