Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got hit......time for upgrades.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got hit......time for upgrades.

So, heading out this morning to drop the kid at school another driver in a Honda Accord swerves into my lane on a local 2 lane road. I stopped and honked the horn as I couldn't swerve out of the way since there were parked cars all along both sides of the road.

He was driving into the sun and claimed the sun was in his eyes (he was actually holding his hand up when he rammed into me). Nobody apparently injured. No airbags deployed on either vehicle. The other driver has claimed fault. His driver's side quarter, bumper, and wheel is pretty much jacked.

If I didn't have the heavier 37's to serve as an additional cushion and was running stock wheels/tires instead, I'm sure the damage would have been much worse. Damage that I can see visually at first glance:

1. Bent quarter panel and aluminum skin as well as cracked modded fender

Click image for larger version

Name:	G0280083.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	667209

2. Absolutely jacked up driver's lower control arm mount. Axle is currently bent/shifted in thus the driver's side tire is toed out.

Name:	G0330098.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	667210

3. Front DS (stock, not the spares I have with the Tera Rzeppa) starting to spew grease on the TC. I'm assuming because the front axle got shifted, not only was the front DS impacted but you'd think as well as the flanges + pinion/TC bearings.

Name:	G0300089.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	667211

So it's been awhile since I've been in an accident that wasn't my fault. Our insurance is with AAA that did mention if we took it to a AAA approved shop, all the work would be warrantied for lifetime. The person who hit me has insurance with Geico.

What do you guys recommend to ensure I get the greatest return on the claim? What is realistic? Also, does it make sense to go with a AAA shop or instead a JK friendly mechanic with a shop who can easily bolt all the new parts back on?

I've got my eye on a Dynatrac 44 now. Should I be asking for a check made out to me for the full amount of new OEM parts that need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Glad your okay... Did you get side swiped? I was rear ended 1 week ago pretty minor. My trailer hitch and spare tire took most or all of the impact. I was hit probably at 30-35mph. I ended up taking the jeep to a local body shop that works with the other persons insurance. The adjuster looked at my bumper and cut me a check for about $500 bucks, it had minor scuffs and small dent that you could barely see.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default if the vehicle has no lien holder

and you own it outright you have the check cut to you. if you make payments on the jeep you cant have the check it will prob be fixed with cheap parts not even factory some times and generally who ever estimates the damage will try and low ball the price. Hope its paid for with no loan on it . then you can shop estimates and choose the best price in your behalf and submit that one or have them cut the check for the higher cost . Then you decide what and how it will be repaired or if you can live with a small dent or something and pocket the cash if you wish

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-23-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by SF_E60
Glad your okay... Did you get side swiped? I was rear ended 1 week ago pretty minor. My trailer hitch and spare tire took most or all of the impact. I was hit probably at 30-35mph. I ended up taking the jeep to a local body shop that works with the other persons insurance. The adjuster looked at my bumper and cut me a check for about $500 bucks, it had minor scuffs and small dent that you could barely see.

Thanks. Basically what could have been a full on head collision but I was able to swerve a little towards passenger for what small room I had to move such that my front driver's side tire pretty much took most of the hit and it turned into a quasi-side swipe. If I had a full size OEM bumper it would have been hit but I've got the poison spyder brawler lite. He had to be going at least 30 mph. He had no clue I was there right in front of him but said he heard me honk.

It was kinda funny because I saw the whole thing playing in slo-mo and was like oh shit here we go. Somebody's car is about to seriously get jacked lol

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

That stinks. Messing with insurance is never fun. I'd take the check and decide how to spend it myself if that was an option.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:47 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
and you own it outright you have the check cut to you. if you make payments on the jeep you cant have the check it will prob be fixed with cheap parts not even factory some times and generally who ever estimates the damage will try and low ball the price. Hope its paid for with no loan on it . then you can shop estimates and choose the best price in your behalf and submit that one or have them cut the check for the higher cost . Then you decide what and how it will be repaired or if you can live with a small dent or something and pocket the cash if you wish

I've got ~ $5500 left to pay on it. Realistically I could pay it off today if I thought it would help. So if it's basically not paid off, then I'm stuck with whatever his insurance gives me it sounds like.

What if I file the claim with our insurance AAA instead? I would think the adjuster for AAA would fight on our behalf to get new replacements and then get reimbursed from his Geico correct? I've got a $500 deductible. Or am I daydreaming lol....

Obviously I'll be asking these questions to AAA directly but am just trying to plan my thoughts ahead of time....

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by resharp001
That stinks. Messing with insurance is never fun. I'd take the check and decide how to spend it myself if that was an option.

That's what I'm hoping. I haven't been in a damn accident since ~1998 or 99' and that was just a little 5mph fender bender. This is all alien to me lol...

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM
DJ1
Former Member

I'm browsing some other car wreck threads in the meantime to get a better consensus....

Time to make a JK wreck sticky....

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...otaled-332970/

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/anyt...mashed-330295/

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...cident-324121/

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...y-life-278958/

---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...verage-308601/

* ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...cident-317093/

* ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...-value-312703/

* ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/anyt...-shops-305968/

* ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s.../wreck-330236/
....good post from the Doc on the same thread....
---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...6/#post4183379

So here's the deal, and one that most people don't get and get mad at your insurance company as they don't understand. Separate from the rider as mentioned earlier, the insurance company will pay you what your car is "worth" today, if you bought it today. So, don't get pissed with them when they try to establish what it was worth, instead, help them. The claims adjuster, ALL he cares about is having enough documentation to come to an agreeable figure and cut you a check. He doesn't care about you, he doesn't care about State Farm, all he cares is that he has documentation to cover his ass, so help provide him that documentation.

What you need to do is start grabbing all your invoices of add-ons. Then, research up on what the resale value is of your vehicle today, find the high, medium and low. KNOW THESE PRICES... Get them from all sorts of places, autotrader, local dealership etc. Claims adjuster will probably be dead on with this figure, but if you don't know prior, you can't disagree if you feel he is low. LET THEM give you their pay-out price first. If you like it, run with it, if not, just say "I think I have some documentation that will show you it is actually valued more at today's pricing" and offer up the documentation.

By being nice, and showing documentation of the EXACT SAME TRUCK on-line as what my wife had just totaled, I walked away with $6k MORE than what I paid for our truck. I actually made money with State Farm on the accident. I had an accident in a brand new VW Passat (months old.) I called up my dealership and said "hey, I'm sending State Farm your way to establish pricing... You give them a real high price of what that thing is worth only being months old, and I bet I'll be buying another one from you." Dealership faxed over an official document saying the vehicle would have only depreciated $0.18 per mile from new. Claims adjust took my mileage and multiplied by this (because... he had documentation from a legit dealership) and then said "Okay, they say MSRP was $$$, minus the $0.18 deprec, so how about $$$$.$$?) Answer YES - because they offered me more than what I bought it for, and dealership got another sale.

Oh, one other thing, they will want to evaluate cost to total vs cost to repair. Make sure you bring donuts to the repair shop that does the estimate ;-) Tell them you'll do future business with them if they make sure on their estimate they don't miss a single nut, bolt, screw, washer, special paint, special grease, whatever. You want the garage estimate to be as high as humanly possible. And then ask them to push it just a hair more (that's where the donuts come in.) If the accident came in to the engine block, then you have a chance. If you're new fangled bumper stopped it from hitting the engine, then there is probably no way in hell they will total it. Make sure garage evaluates if the engine needs to be replaced VERY CLOSELY. If they are in question, tell them to go hard towards replacement, tell them you don't want to have worry down the line.

Originally Posted by ferrarifast
Friends,

The Magnuson install has been put on hold following a severe wreck yesterday. I was hit nearly head on from a older driver who ran a Red Light at the bottom of Provo Canyon. The police estimate they were travelling between 40-50 mph. The paramedic indicated that it was his opinion that my front bumper most likely saved my life.. The irony is that the bumper was just installed last Wednesday... Much thanks to Poison Spider for an excellent, safe product...
I guess that the S/C will wait for a new jeep to be purchased... My biggest worry at this point is whether Farmer's Insurance will cover my add-ons that my Jeep had. My Agent at State Farm indicated that we will pressure them to cover my accessories. Does anyone have any insurance experience where it wasn't your fault and things were covered??

Sore and bruised, yet grateful to be alive!

FF

Last edited by DJ1; 02-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Having owned a body shop there are a few pointers I can help with.

The benefit to having it done in a AAA approved shop, or one that they're comfortable with, is for any supplemental work, and there will likely be a supplement. The adjuster will make a quick pass on it, pick out the major items, get those in a workup and print out an estimate. There is no accounting for damage that is unseen, and even the best adjuster will miss things as there is no way of knowing what you've got until you tear into it and start assessing it in a hands on format. No 2 accidents are the same and the damage is always going to vary.

You can always request OEM parts, but they're not always required to use it. Many times people would go with the will fit remanufactured components to upgrade other things. I used to work with people to cover their deductible so they had no out of pocket as well. Being that you're not at fault, the deductible should not be an issue.

There are offroad shops that do work with insurance companies and you might check for that as an option. You could get replacement cost for an OEM front axle, put that amount towards a ProRock44 and make up the difference of the betterment.

Insurance companies are a pain in the ass and are only looking for the cheap way out of everything. Make sure everything is in writing. If you have a conversation, send a followup email outlining the points in the conversation. If it's not in writing, it never happened.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

From my understanding you are entitled to take your JK to any body shop you like, receive a estimate from them and let the other persons insurance know. They'll send out the adjuster out to the body shop to work with them on pricing. I believe at this point they cut you a check to either fix the issues at that body shop or not.

Quick Reply: Just got hit......time for upgrades.