Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katzkin airbag question

Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katzkin airbag question

I'm looking at a particular set of katzkin seat covers someone is selling that are made for seats with airbags. My seats don't have airbags. Can I still install the katzkins even though they're for seats with airbags? I assume I can and that only the other way around would be the problem.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I can't say for certain, but I would presume the same. It's not like the seats with airbags have a different shape. As long as you have the same style seats as the previous owner (both jeeps have pre '13 seats or the '13+) I'd think you're fine.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

My thinking was the same. Same seat shape shouldn't be an issue. They're '13+ seat covers and my JKU is a '14 so no problem there either. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JKwebb
My thinking was the same. Same seat shape shouldn't be an issue. They're '13+ seat covers and my JKU is a '14 so no problem there either. Thanks for the input.
If you're upgrading from cloth, you'll love those katzkins btw. Couple pieces of advice -

1) if you don't currently have seat heaters, now is the time to add em. The WarmSeats are $80/seat on ebay and well worth the money.

2) When doing the front seats, it's easiest to just separate the back portion from the base. The two pieces are only held together by 4 screws (2 on each side), but be very careful when putting those back together. I ended up stripping the threads in one of them and it was a major PITA.

The back seats are a lot easier to do than the front ones.

Good luck with the upgrade.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to putting them on.

Did you use any spray adhesive when installing them?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I originally didn't want to due to the seat heaters, but kind of wish i would have right at the top of the back portion where you'd possibly have something embroidered (if that makes sense). It doesn't look bad if you don't, but you can tell it's just a little loose right there on mine. Doesn't bother me bad enough to remove them just to glue it now though. what's done is done.

Also, someone recently was installing them and couldn't figure out how to get the trim around the lever on the back seats off. See my pictures on this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...al-jku-339362/
Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I originally didn't want to due to the seat heaters, but kind of wish i would have right at the top of the back portion where you'd possibly have something embroidered (if that makes sense). It doesn't look bad if you don't, but you can tell it's just a little loose right there on mine. Doesn't bother me bad enough to remove them just to glue it now though. what's done is done. Also, someone recently was installing them and couldn't figure out how to get the trim around the lever on the back seats off. See my pictures on this thread - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...al-jku-339362/
Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Do I need to use hog rings for the install?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JKwebb
Do I need to use hog rings for the install?
No you do not. I used zip ties and they work just fine.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Hey resharp001, I just wanted to thank you for all your help. I keep going online to see what information I can find that can help me with this install and I keep coming across your advice. Either in this thread or elsewhere. Your advice is proving to be most helpful. I'm in the middle of the install starting with the driver-side backseat. All going well but it's a bit more of a bitch than I thought it would be. I'll post pics when I'm done. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Katzkin airbag question