Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines Replacement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines Replacement

I have a schedule to fix the leak in the lines this week, but I heard after the dealership even replaces the lines, there still could be some leaking.

Would it be more cost efficient if I just did the replacement myself? I am not too educated when it comes to under the hood projects because I'm still a Jeep noob. If it is more cost efficient, how difficult is it to replace the lines?

If there is always a chance for a leak in the future, would it be smarter to replace the whole cooler and lines with after markets?

Thanks in advance !
Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If it's covered by the extended warranty, let the dealer do it.

Regarding leaking afterwards, the new lines will likely leak at the same points eventually. The crimps they use when making the lines are not that good.

When you get it back after the replecement, look at the quick disconnects on both ends of both lines.
It's possible the mechanic didn't completely seat the couplers, which can cause a leak and vehicle fire.

Here is a picture showing what to look for.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it's covered by the extended warranty, let the dealer do it.

Regarding leaking afterwards, the new lines will likely leak at the same points eventually. The crimps they use when making the lines are not that good.

When you get it back after the replecement, look at the quick disconnects on both ends of both lines.
It's possible the mechanic didn't completely seat the couplers, which can cause a leak and vehicle fire.

Here is a picture showing what to look for.

It's not covered by my warranty sadly. But thank you, I'll just let the dealer replace it and just check the lines afterwards according to the picture.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

The extended warranty for the cooler lines is 7 years/70,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The extended warranty for the cooler lines is 7 years/70,000 miles.
Just broke 82k ): plus I asked the dealer if my jeep would apply to the recall that was sent out years back, he said it wasn't because my jeep was made out of the range the recall applied to
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by KVJK08
Just broke 82k ): plus I asked the dealer if my jeep would apply to the recall that was sent out years back, he said it wasn't because my jeep was made out of the range the recall applied to
It's too late for you, then, but it would be pretty hard for your '08 to have been built outside the date range when it says this on the warranty extension:

MODELS:
2008 - 2010 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE :This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 3.8L engine (sales code EGT) and an automatic transmission (sales code DGV) built before March 10, 2010 (MDHO410XX).
Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same problem with my 2010 jk leaking from the transmission cooling line it's leaking from where the rubber hose connect to the aluminium tube dealer wants to charge me $570.00 to replace it can't afford it any suggestions
Old 01-25-2015, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joelquiala
I'm having the same problem with my 2010 jk leaking from the transmission cooling line it's leaking from where the rubber hose connect to the aluminium tube dealer wants to charge me $570.00 to replace it can't afford it any suggestions
Does your Jeep fit the extended warranty above? I'm not too familiar with under the hood things, but I've had suggestions from buying the replecement parts from the dealer or online, and replacing it yourself. Half the price. But I heard it's a PITA. Otherwise, other suggestions I've seen is just replacing the small section where it is leaking with new tubes.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

I checked and the extended warranty doesn't cover it. Some one toll me to cut the piece on both ends put a new rubber hose and clamp both ends and the problem is solved. Cost maybe $10.00 dollars for rubber hose. What do you guy's think about that?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by joelquiala
I checked and the extended warranty doesn't cover it. Some one toll me to cut the piece on both ends put a new rubber hose and clamp both ends and the problem is solved. Cost maybe $10.00 dollars for rubber hose. What do you guy's think about that?
Cut the crimps off.
Install some rubber transmission lines.
Double clamp each end.

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines Replacement