Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines Replacement

Old 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
Fine so far. I took it out in the cold teen degree weather and snow. No sign of a leak like before.
Just wondering how this repair worked for people who did it so far. Also did everyone use high pressure clamps or standard hose clamps?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Lin’s leaking

Could someone repost the pictures from page one. For some reason mine won’t open. And if anyone else has other pictures or the hose repair I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Replacing the stock lines isn’t that hard if you have the factory recommended disconnect tool. Otherwise you can use a pick tool and just pull out the little spring clips. The lines have to be threaded through to get them in place and you can do the replacements one at a time. The lower one goes easy, the upper one will leak all over you. The ends click right into place.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thanks

Hey, just wanted to stop in and thank you guys for the tips on replacing the rubber hose in the transmission lines. After going out on some trails the other night I developed a pretty significant leak in that area. I'm in the learning process of becoming mechanically inclined and wouldn't even attempt most jobs without these forums and Youtube. Anyone else looking to try to tackle this job should be able to with no problem, regardless of experience. I've attached photos and a step-by-step of what I did for anyone needing a bump in confidence when attempting this.

I went to O'Reillys and got the following:

- 8' 3/8" Rubber Hose

- 3/8" Hose Clamps x 8

- 1 Quart of ATF 4+ Transmission Fluid

The tools I needed for this job were:

- Flathead Screwdriver

- Dremel Tool w/Cutting Disc

- Paper Towels

- Bucket for Transmission Fluid

- Channel Locks (for the top radiator hose removal)

The following two pictures are how I confirmed where the leak was. There was considerable fluid in this area under the vehicle when running and it would continue to accumulate, slowly, when not running.

Leaking Transmission Hose

Leaking Transmission Hose Close

These were some of the first cuts I made with the dremel tool coming from the bottom of the vehicle. With the suspension lift I had installed prior, I did not need to put the vehicle on jacks or lift it otherwise.

First Cuts

Removal of Rubber Transmission Hose

After having some trouble accessing the top transmission line, it dawned on me to disconnect the top radiator hose and move the coolant reservoir so that I could have easier access. I highly recommend you do this!

Top Radiator Hose & Coolant Reservoir

Removing the existing lines involved cutting the crimps and lines with a dremel tool so that they could be pried off with a flathead screwdriver.

Old Hose Removed

The new lines were cut to the same length as the old ones. I applied the bottom line first, with two hose clamps, tightened and secured. I then attached the other side of the bottom line, having forgot to add the other two hose clamps. Avoid this! As I had to cut the new line off and start over so that I could have a total of four hose clamps. Pay special attention to how you orient the hose clamps, as they can make your job of tightening them easy, or a pain in the butt.

New Hose Installation

Once finished, I monitored and topped of the transmission fluid and took it for a test drive with success. I will update if anything noteworthy happens, but like the saying goes, no news is good news.
The following 2 users liked this post by firefighter17:
SGT_O (04-25-2023), TSLtrek (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission Cooler Lines Replacement