Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk undercarriage!!!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was my issue with the pro tek. It attaches using the oil pan bolts. The force of the hit is transferred up through the engine. They were all the rage a couple of years ago and I got flamed for speaking out against an Evo product but I think more have come to my side over the years. I've ran the rock hard and the jcr and was happy with both.

sent from my work leash
Old 01-29-2015, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have two Jeeps and two systems...

My JKUR has the EVO Protek system. I am okay with the oil pan mounting. The cross-member does have a weak spot and every set I've installed has needed some tweaking. I modified the weak spot with a gusset seen below:

Even though I have had to modify this system it is still what I personally prefer.

My wife's JK has the Rock Hard system. It is a total PITA to clean everytime we wheel. I have no intensions of replacing this system until warranted, but when it is I will be replacing with.... (read on)

Here are my thoughts as unbiased as I can provide. (This is a copy-paste of an email to a new Jeeping friend)

Skid plates are a smart first mod if you plan on trial riding, especially if you are thinking about doing it at stock height. While there are some stock skid plates; there are still several weaknesses that are left exposed. These include the exhaust cross-over, driver’s side exhaust loop, evaporator canister, oil pan, and transmission. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t and many of these parts are covered by one skid plate. The good/bad news is there aren’t as many players in skid plates as there are in bumpers. The list can be further weeded through by approach, minimalist or maximist (if that’s a word ).

Maximum Coverage: This is just as it sounds; cover everything with a heavy piece of steel. A pro to this approach is that these systems often offer a smooth underbelly that slides over stuff well. Some cons are that these systems are heavy and make clean-up after wheeling even more of a pain. They also hinder air-flow and some feel they cause the floor-pan to be warmer as a result. (I suspect this is more of a byproduct of removed carpet but I don’t know for sure.)
Systems I would put in this category are: Synergy Manufacturing, RockHard 4x4, River Raider Off Road, and JCR. There may be some others but these are what comes to mind at the moment.

Minimalist: A minimalist skid system focuses on only adding protection where it is needed and does it’s best to keep the weight down. Essentially the pros VS cons are an inverse to the maximum coverage. There aren’t many systems playing to this category with exception to the one we run… The EVO ProTeK System. Offroad Evolution is the manufacturer.

When I sent this email, the Nemesis Aluminium Skid system was not out. I would highly consider this system if I were in the market again.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synergy HD, may as well get the control arm skids and rear shock relocation brackets/skids while you are at it. Oh, and PSC e-vap skid too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080686_zpsbd72bf5d.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	594347 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080675_zpsb4ec8b1c.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	594348

Last edited by Mike H.; 01-29-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had great luck with the Rock Hard 4x4 motor/trans skid on my JKU

Quick Reply: Let's talk undercarriage!!!!!