Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift for Chains?

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift for Chains?

I read recently someone that tried to put chains on their JK but they would only fit in the front. Does anyone know what kind of lift or backspacing would be necessary to put chains on all four wheels of a JK 4 door Rubi? Just planning the 'to-do' list when I finally pick mine up in 2 months or so... :-)

Thanks!
js.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on the type of chains being used, I suppose you might run into rubbing problems of the rear sway bar due to the 6.25" of back spacing which brings the tires way in.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the post about the rear chains rubbing the upper control arms. This was on a 2dr rubicon with stock tires & rims. There is only 1 inch of clearance between the tire and the control arm on the back and I run a heavy duty set of 9/32" chains that the links are 1.1" wide. Problem will go away when I swap tires & rims and expect to gain almost an inch of clearance. Just not sure when the budget can afford the swap. As a side note I didn't have any problems with the chains on the front.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Depending on the type of chains being used, I suppose you might run into rubbing problems of the rear sway bar due to the 6.25" of back spacing which brings the tires way in.
Excellent! So maybe those "CRAGAR Series 397 Soft 8 Black Wheels" (with a 4.5" BS) I was looking at would be a good choice after all! :-)

Thanks for the reply!

js.

Quick Reply: Lift for Chains?