Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift ideas for an 07 jku

Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Your arms should be worth $400 and when the joints go you can replace them with some better joints from one of several compainies includeing metal cloak, currie johnny joints, or ballistic. You have 8 Joints and they will cost you $40-55 earch. If you got the entire kit with the brake lines and sway bar lins (disco) you actually got a decent buy. At 4" of lift your dirveshafts will go at some point, some people go years some go a couple of months. I would at least budget for a set of shafts and set up an emergency fund if this is your daily driver. A set of shafts will run you $650-1000. those shocks are famous for leaking and rusting up so you should budget $150-400 for shocks. The steering should be addressed unless you like the way it feels, expect some pretty good bump steer with those steep link angles. Drag link flips will start at around $400 for the drag link, tapered bushing, and raised axle side bracket. I would not install that rear drop bracket that comes with thre kit and look into a raised axle side track bar bracket, it will give yo better handeling from a raised roll center and less body roll on the highway and if you should go off road in off camber situation.

After all this concern, thinking, and posting you could have simply bought a 3/4" coil spacer from synergy for $20 and installed them up front with your 33" tires and been done with the whole thing and you would not have the mess you have on your hands.

You may have thought you got the deal buying that kit for $400 but the guy that made out was the one that sold in instead of having to throw it in the garbage.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver

I think you'd be better off with a 2.5" teraflex budget boost kit with shock extensions. You say your days on the trail are not vigorous, or often, so why not get a complete kit that will fit some 33's or 35's without issue? IMHO, it's a better kit than a RC spring lift.

edited as I put leveling kit, rather than BB.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

I don't mean to hijack your thread I only have a quick question.. I already have a 3 inch suspension lift running 35's with the stock shocks, aftermarket sway bar links and all the brake line extensions, etc. I'm curious if it would hurt to install a simple coil spring spacer lift or would I have to buy a kit with brake line extensions and new shocks etc.. Thanks for any info... Mine is a 2013 if that changes anything

Last edited by bantici; 04-16-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you have clearance for those things, then no, but how is someone on the internet going to be able to give you a proper answer with the lack of infromation given?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you have clearance for those things, then no, but how is someone on the internet going to be able to give you a proper answer with the lack of infromation given?
no need to be rude.. I had a simple question and gave all the info I thought would be necessary just wanting a little more ground clearance.. Maby 2" what other info could I gone you
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I am not being rude, there are a lot of variable to take into account when designing suspensions. No brand or type of lift was listed (spacer or coil) You say it is 3" but is it acutally 3"? You are running a 3" lift on factory shocks with no extentions or relocated brackets? This would give you 1" of down travel if you actually have 3" of lift. Did your 3" kit come with bump stops to keep the tires out of the fenders? Are you brake lines tight at full droop? I doubt it if you are running stock shocks without extensions as shocks determine suspension travel or droop which factor into the length of your brake lines. Are your sway bar links adjustable? If not you want to make sure they are +-5 degrees from level. A sway bar link that is too short can flip around forwad and lock up your steering linkages and cause damages if you full droop the axle with the sway bar connected. Do you have any kind of caster correction such as cam bolts, drop brackets, or adjusable control arms? If no do you care about the steering feel or loss of feel in the steering? You realize that the more lift you do the more bind your driveshafts are in and the quicker the will wear out? Do you care about the top heavy feel of the jeep and know how to address the roll center the keep your jeep more stable in high speed turns and off road off camber situations? Lifting and using factory control arms without relocation brackets reduces wheel base and ride quality, the higher you go the worse it gets.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

I am not being rude, there are a lot of variable to take into account when designing suspensions. No brand or type of lift was listed (spacer or coil) You say it is 3" but is it acutally 3"? You are running a 3" lift on factory shocks with no extentions or relocated brackets? This would give you 1" of down travel if you actually have 3" of lift. Did your 3" kit come with bump stops to keep the tires out of the fenders? Are you brake lines tight at full droop? I doubt it if you are running stock shocks without extensions as shocks determine suspension travel or droop which factor into the length of your brake lines. Are your sway bar links adjustable? If not you want to make sure they are +-5 degrees from level. A sway bar link that is too short can flip around forwad and lock up your steering linkages and cause damages if you full droop the axle with the sway bar connected. Do you have any kind of caster correction such as cam bolts, drop brackets, or adjusable control arms? If no do you care about the steering feel or loss of feel in the steering? You realize that the more lift you do the more bind your driveshafts are in and the quicker the will wear out? Do you care about the top heavy feel of the jeep and know how to address the roll center the keep your jeep more stable in high speed turns and off road off camber situations? Lifting and using factory control arms without relocation brackets reduces wheel base and ride quality, the higher you go the worse it gets.
Ok I apologize.. I bought the jeep already set up the lift is a coil lift but I don't know what brand. the sway bars are not adjustable. I do not know if the shocks have relocation brackets I'm glad you brought it up though I will try to look and see if I can tell. I'm not exactly knowledgable about lifts and all but not completely ignorant either i appreciate any help that you could give me and I apologize for calling you rude
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Its not the first time I have been called rude or a asshole for that matter. I am just direct with my answers and try to get people to learn about thier jeeps. Sorry if I come off as rude. I would encourage you to read the stickies at the top of the modified section and read the red link in my signature. I wrote it for people that are new so they could educate themselves about their jeep in an easy to read and understand way.

Good luck with your jeep and have fun at the super lift park. Badlands in Attica, Indiana is another great park in the mid west if you are ever up there.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Its not the first time I have been called rude or a asshole for that matter. I am just direct with my answers and try to get people to learn about thier jeeps. Sorry if I come off as rude. I would encourage you to read the stickies at the top of the modified section and read the red link in my signature. I wrote it for people that are new so they could educate themselves about their jeep in an easy to read and understand way. Good luck with your jeep and have fun at the super lift park. Badlands in Attica, Indiana is another great park in the mid west if you are ever up there.
Thanks for the help man!!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 AM
JK Newbie

Its not the first time I have been called rude or a asshole for that matter. I am just direct with my answers and try to get people to learn about thier jeeps. Sorry if I come off as rude. I would encourage you to read the stickies at the top of the modified section and read the red link in my signature. I wrote it for people that are new so they could educate themselves about their jeep in an easy to read and understand way. Good luck with your jeep and have fun at the super lift park. Badlands in Attica, Indiana is another great park in the mid west if you are ever up there.
Hey I've got one more quick question you may or may not be able to answer.. Due to lack of information and my lack of knowing exactly what size coil lift and what brand it is. Let's say I wanted to upgrade my shocks, how would I determine what length shock to go with.. What would be my best choice to maby improve my ride quality and possibly do away with that 1" of down travel you spoke of.. Like I said I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions

Quick Reply: lift ideas for an 07 jku