Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift install question

Old 02-21-2016, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a good project for me and some buddies.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed four lift lift kits in jeep JKU's 2 Rough Country (3.5" & 4" X Series) and 2 Metal Cloak (3.5" Game Changers) and never needed ratchet straps. To make life easy have 3 sets up jack stands so you can have the jeep set up on 4 and 2 for the axle to sit in when your reconnecting the control arms and front drive shaft. depending on the lift you can look up the install instructions so you know what your in for.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used ratchet straps when re-centering my axles with the adjustable track bars. But other than that, it's a floor jack, jack stands, and some big freakin' wrenches. I mean BIG.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash n Burn
I've installed four lift lift kits in jeep JKU's 2 Rough Country (3.5" & 4" X Series) and 2 Metal Cloak (3.5" Game Changers) and never needed ratchet straps. To make life easy have 3 sets up jack stands so you can have the jeep set up on 4 and 2 for the axle to sit in when your reconnecting the control arms and front drive shaft. depending on the lift you can look up the install instructions so you know what your in for.
Your don't really need them but if you compress them 1" it makes it easier IMO. You only need to compress them just enough to get the tension off. Anyone cranking down on springs all the way on a spring designed to support 1,000+ pounds is just as stupid as using a torch to get a ball joint off. If you haven't seen what happens when you do that You Tube it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CtsxrRksc Skip to 3 minute mark

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 03-01-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Clip
Old 03-01-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
You only need to compress them just enough to get the tension off.
I agree. I didn't need to compress mine at all. The fronts were a little tougher to get out but once you get yourself to full droop with the sway bar and track bar disconnected while up on jack stands, you just have to push down a bit on the axle with your foot. About an inch and you can pull them out. The rear just falls out as you droop. At least on my JK.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion only, buy a cordless impact.

I have a few and even the cheapest is a craftsman that's 140 bucks. More than enough for the jeep. Makes r&r a bit more painless. If you can lay the cash on a Milwaukee fuel or a snap on 1/2" cordless they are awesome.

Quick Reply: Lift install question