Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit gone wrong, advice needed

Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I was talked into OME Heavy coils since I had a full steel bumper with winch. Got close to 3.5", and a veerrryy stiff ride. You will want caster correction !! (assuming you do end up as tall as I assume you will...)

The options are cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter 'fixed' control arms, adjustable control arms. They have varying prices and opinions/preferences, so research it before just jumping on the lowest price.

Front trackbar was a good call for those coils. You have a rear 'raised' trackbar bracket? (to also correct the roll center). Or just one that centers the axle?

The other thing to check is the bumpstops. Flex it out after the lift and make sure the tires aren't going to go up enough to rip a flare off, and that the shocks do not over-compress.

Also, depending on how the steering feels, you'll probably be in the range to start considering a draglink flip.

And it would be a real good idea while you are flexing it and checking the flares and shocks, to crawl underneath and check the front driveshaft clearance.

Oh, swaybar links. You want both swaybars to remain roughly parallel to the ground. Fairly common to get longer rear links, then move the stock rear links up front. Or just replace the fronts with disconnects. But just some friendly advice, I would recommend that you be real careful flexing it out with short front links and those longer shocks!!
Thanks for all the info, I do have a raised trackball bracket, got drop brackets for caster, and already have longer swaybar links. The bump stops will be ordered after we do the lift so we can see what we need I guess. Draglink flip is something I've never heard of, so I'll definitely look into that and get it on the list of to-do's.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit gone wrong, advice needed