Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was lifting your brand new JK worth it?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to go without lifting my jeep for a year- because of money. It was horrible, just horrible especially after owning three beforehand that were lifted. This last time I did fast as hell..
Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no regrets from lifting my new JKU, drove it home from the dealer and with 76 miles on it we threw a RK 3.5" lift on it with 35s. My logic behind it was if I broke something related to the drivetrain it was a was a weak point and I would replace it with something stronger. I wasted a ps pump on the trails that they replaced under warranty, with a defective new pump. It always made a strange whining noise and when my warranty was about up I took it in and complained of the noise, score another new pump and idler pully and all noises were gone. Only other warranty issue I had was a starter that hung up. As luck would have it the starter completely failed when I dropped it off at the dealer, we had to push it into the shop! All dealers are different from what I read but if you have a dealer that won't take care of issues unrelated to driveline/suspension failures with a factory warranty I would find another dealership.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Hell yeah I'm happy I lifted it right away. I bought a super stocker knowing I'd be lifting and modding from the get go. My 2016 had the 15" wheels and 29" tires so I was counting the days until I could get my lift on. Not too many trails I could have tackled with that stock set up!! Did the same thing with my 2014 2 door. Had Rubi take offs and shocks/springs on it within a month and then lifted with a real kit in the first 6 months.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coastie kyle
I've read the treads about warrantees already, but for those of you that bought your new JK and turned around and lifted it, was it worth it?
Absolutely.

Putting a quality lift on is what helps with the confidence factor in such a decision, especially early on. People buy a brand new, shiny JK, start decorating it like a Christmas tree with fancy LED lights, go nuts on armor and bumpers, then install a $600 garbage lift on it that rides horribly and start blaming the poor Jeep.

Nobody has regrets or second thoughts on things they do right. Put the right lift on and you'll feel good about it, regardless of when you do it.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a nugget: I wish I would have lifted my jeep right away. Because now my skids look like garbage. That will most certainly translate into a voided warranty for some stuff if the dealer wants to be a dork about it. Had I lifted it right away, I wouldn't have nearly as much undercarriage damage.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ragnarok_jku
Hell yeah I'm happy I lifted it right away. I bought a super stocker knowing I'd be lifting and modding from the get go. My 2016 had the 15" wheels and 29" tires so I was counting the days until I could get my lift on. Not too many trails I could have tackled with that stock set up!! Did the same thing with my 2014 2 door. Had Rubi take offs and shocks/springs on it within a month and then lifted with a real kit in the first 6 months.
I did the same thing. I bought mine with nothing on it but 373s. I had the crappy tiny wheels and tires. I have been asking about lifting this thing again with my 2.5"AEV that is ion my garage, but even after a week or two, Ive already threw on rubi takeoff springs and shocks.

Well this has all been a huge help. I'm glad to hear that no one has any regrets. I really did expect a few people to chime in and say they wish they would have waited because the dealer wouldn't cover this, or wouldn't cover that because of a lift. I'm going to wait a little bit until my tires wear down a bit, and then get some 35s and throw on my 2.5". Thanks everyone.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Put AEV 3.5 w/ high steer and reservoir bilsteins version. Very happy. Better than stock. Perfect alignment with 35 inch trail grapplers.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:19 AM
RnR
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets, the best decision I made other than buying it. You'll never be happy driving a stock JK, you've been to the mtn top before, now go back the mtn top with your brand new JK that you had custom built at the factory. When your mods are done, you'll never look back.

I bought a JK Sport S in May of 2016, brand new. I thought at the time I would be fine leaving it stock. It didn't take long until the bug hit me. I have 3.21 gears in mine and even an auto trans. I put a lot of thought into what upgrades to do. This is a daily driver and I go wheeling once or twice a month. Factoring that in I went with 33s (285/70R17) Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I then had a terraflex 2.5 coil lift installed. I probably didn't need the lift but I wanted the extra clearance. Not to mention the fun factor goes up 10 notches once lifted. The transmission is off on it's shift points which led me to putting a superchips calibrator on my wish list. After getting the wheels and lift I had the drivers side rear break cable rub and eventually leak. I was warned that the stock rims would rub. I then upgraded to new rims instead of adding spacers.

The next upgrades were a front bumper, a winch, rear bumper and new fenders.

My latest mod was a frameless soft top. I also added synergy's baja basket in the back and removed the backseat and added TF sway bar disconnects.

A few mods have created problems but the lift hasn't created any issues.

The new top leaks, I am currently trouble shooting to fix with camper seal, I removed the carpet out of the floorboards in the front and placed the rubber matts directly on the metal until I fix the leaks.

I even replaced the perfectl good black fairlead with a chrome one.

I have never loved a vehicle as much as I love my jeep. No regrets lifting and modifying a brand new jeep.

Honestly, it's sickens me to see stock JKs and especially JKUs on the road.

Your mods will never end once you start, FYI.

My next mod will be removing the stock step rails (Plastic) and replacing with rock rails.

PS...My GF doesn't understand the relationship I have with my Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17155561_10212069452673865_8790223854536701680_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	667988   Click image for larger version

Name:	17190743_10212057813862902_161086676223089903_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	667989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 3-5-16.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	667990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20170205_115929.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	877.2 KB
ID:	667991   Click image for larger version

Name:	17078403_10212011148696302_2044812158_n.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	667992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	17198297_10212096536270938_2054952809_n.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	667994  

Last edited by RnR; 03-09-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RnR
PS...My GF doesn't understand the relationship I have with my Jeep.
Few of them ever do
Old 03-09-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coastie kyle
I traded in my 08 that had a lift, tires/wheels, bumpers, bolts, etc (all removed), for a 17 that was built exactly how I wanted (manual everything and 3.73 gears). But now I have a warrantee and a garage full of nice Jeep parts that I have nothing to do with; all of which seem to revolve around having my AEV 2.5" lift on.

I've read the treads about warrantees already, but for those of you that bought your new JK and turned around and lifted it, was it worth it? Do you wish you stayed stock? Or are you glad you went balls to the wall and stacked it?

I'm 50/50 on whether to start putting on all my crap again, or trying to continue selling it all off. A 2.5" AEV lift, expensive LoD bumpers, and newish wheels/tires combo is not easy to sell. Thanks for any insight.
I do miss my easy riding, everything works perfectly, sounds great, new 14 JKUR... now I've got a lot done, and LOVE it.

When i parked my stock jeep, i don't remember stopping to turn and admire it. NOW?

I don't walk away without one more look, lol...

So, really, it's up to you, and how your Jeep makes you feel. It made me happy enough till it didn't then I got 35s and cut my fenders. Then it didn't, and I got 37s and long arm, ... HOPE I'm happy for a while... lol

Quick Reply: Was lifting your brand new JK worth it?