Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers: how much better are they?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to say thanks to all who posted those vids, this is a very educational threat!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jdschup
Cheaper than the $3k and ARB system is going to cost me? Who installs them - just any good offroad shop? Who makes them?

Thanks for the great info!
You've heard the name Detroit, I would guess? The detroit 'locker' is the one everyone thinks of when they hear the name, the truetrac is their limited slip.

Front d30 - 912A585 - $390 (Summitracing.com)
Rear d44 - 913A589 - $415 (Summit)

No air compressor, no air lines, no switches. Very hard metal though, so there may be an extra charge if they need to drill out the holes for whatever size bolts you have. If your shop can install an ARB or a detroit, they can install a truetrac.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trutrac replaces your carrier so if you plan on regearing I would do it at the same time.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

I like the truetrac idea but how does that work with the factory brake lock traction control? They both need to sense wheel slippage to work. I would figure they may at one point work against each other.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

There are a bunch of threads on this site with user feedback to look through. You will likely find comments that the bld enhances the performance of the truetrac, none that indicate it interferes. (I imagine that the owners of factory limit slips would have been raising a fuss about it for the last 8 years if that was an issue...)

I don't think I have seen any posts where anyone was unhappy about having a truetrac, other than one or two of the more hard-core types who would obviously be better served with full lockers. But that is a debate about limiteds vs lockers, not about the functionality of the truetrac itself.

And jdschup, don't let me sway you into going with aftermarket traction, or away from a full locker if that is what you decide you need. Just from your comments about your intended use, and the obvious cost savings, I think this is a good choice.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And jdschup, don't let me sway you into going with aftermarket traction, or away from a full locker if that is what you decide you need. Just from your comments about your intended use, and the obvious cost savings, I think this is a good choice.
Hey, I really appreciate it. This forum has been an incredible resource for me as I learn more about my Jeep, so thanks to everyone.

So, it seems you would say that a Truetrac is a big improvement over the stock Jeep limited slip that my JKU came with? The bottom line is that I can't afford the lockers, so, it's either staying stock or getting the Truetracs.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Assuming you are not having new gears installed, no harm in staying stock until you find a reason to not be stock anymore, or until you save enough for selectables if they would better suit your needs. You already know that it's a capable vehicle as is, and you have a winch for 'those' times...

If you are regearing, however, adding traction now would save a bunch of money, since the labor costs for gearing are about the same as for adding full case lockers/limiteds. (though the locker installs may have extra charges for drilling or mounting compressors/switches, or running lines or cables or wires, or whatever)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf

If you are regearing...
Yep! Going to 4.56 gears and a 2.5" AEV lift. That's what's got this whole discussion going for me.

The ARB lockers were just too much (additional $2,500 or so), so I asked for a price on Truetracs. Depending on what they say, I'll either stick with stock or go Truetrac.

We'll see!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Who is doing your gears? I saw a few days ago that Northridge is running a $999 gearing deal. I haven't been up to their Longmont shop yet, but may be worth a call.

And you always have the option of Eaton e-lockers and Yukon zip-lockers as well, both should save some money over arb's.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-24-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lockers have their cons. They should be used only when really needed and should be disconnected as soon as they aren’t needed – but they are indispensable in some situations, and can make the use of a winch or being pulled unnecessary.

Front vs rear –
On steep inclines, most of the weight/pressure is on the rear wheels, so a front locker is less efficient. Vice versa on steep declines.
I’d therefore, have both, so I can either use both, or just the more suitable one.

Unless the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, or the Jeep is on slippery surface (slick mud, snow, ice, deep soft sand), lockers cause heavy strain on the drivetrain and steering.
In any other condition, I’d use them only over a short section.

However, Truetracs are, IMO, a very good second choice after true lockers.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-25-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Lockers: how much better are they?