Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers: how much better are they?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front and rear true tracs here with 4.56s. Can't complain. 8.5 out of 10 compared to lockers traction wise.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renegade4x4
Front and rear true tracs here with 4.56s. Can't complain. 8.5 out of 10 compared to lockers traction wise.
I totally agree. I have 4:56 gearing with truetracs front and rear and I also have a Rubicon 4:1 transfer case. My jeep crawls over everything. I do better than and get farther than rigs with lockers because they are open until they lock up, once it's needed. Having a flexy suspension is key and should help keep your wheels in contact with the terrain so your truetracs can work. They dont work to well if your tires leave the terrain although with the Jeeps BLD system and a firm pull on the E brake you usually can get the job done. I am planning on a front axle upgrade to a pr44 at which time I will get the front a locker. I plan on keeping the truetrac in the rear because as a daily driver who sees snow, they are hard to beat.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've run Truetracs (F&R) on 2 CJs that I've had and never wanted for anything more.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

The right tool for the right job. From what I've read if your rock climbing lockers are the best, but you said you don't do rocks so from what I know I'd go TT. I had them F&R in an 85 pick-up and it was a tank off road. Off road for me is fire trails in the snow durning hunting season. Went thru 18" of snow no prob. I liked them so much then I just had them installed F&R in my 15 JK. I've never had lockers so I can't comment on them but you won't know the TT's are there. Do a search in this forum on TT verse Lockers and you'll have enough reading to last you all night. Here in SE Michigan it cost me $1500 for both installed.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Strider
The right tool for the right job. From what I've read if your rock climbing lockers are the best, but you said you don't do rocks so from what I know I'd go TT. I had them F&R in an 85 pick-up and it was a tank off road. Off road for me is fire trails in the snow durning hunting season. Went thru 18" of snow no prob. I liked them so much then I just had them installed F&R in my 15 JK. I've never had lockers so I can't comment on them but you won't know the TT's are there. Do a search in this forum on TT verse Lockers and you'll have enough reading to last you all night. Here in SE Michigan it cost me $1500 for both installed.
Tru-Tracs are the next best thing to a locker, and for some better. They are totally seamless and you will never know they are working except you will keep going. They have none of the downfalls of a locker with almost all of the benefits. I would say for 90% of the Jeep Population they will work fine. The perfect loker would be a Tru-Trac unlocked and a Locker locked
Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper

Tru-Tracs are the next best thing to a locker, and for some better. They are totally seamless and you will never know they are working except you will keep going. They have none of the downfalls of a locker with almost all of the benefits. I would say for 90% of the Jeep Population they will work fine. The perfect loker would be a Tru-Trac unlocked and a Locker locked
They basically have that in the Auburn Ected although it uses clutch packs and the trutracs do not making the trutrac more durable but the ected locks up with the push of a button where the trutracs do not. If I didnt worry about premature failure I would use the Ected limited slip/locker.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJM12
They basically have that in the Auburn Ected although it uses clutch packs and the trutracs do not making the trutrac more durable but the ected locks up with the push of a button where the trutracs do not. If I didnt worry about premature failure I would use the Ected limited slip/locker.
Thats why I went with a TT, no wires like an electric selectable and no air pumps and lines like an ARB. TT will last as long as your Jeep with no hassles.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some research on limited slip in the front. I know people run them, but they're not good on a daily driver in a snowy climate (arguably a bit dangerous). There's a reason Jeep doesn't offer it as an option. Limited slip rear and selectable front are a good combo. Get the eaton e-locker. Cheaper than air lockers and you don't need a compressor. Pretty affordable.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Get the eaton e-locker. Cheaper than air lockers and you don't need a compressor. Pretty affordable.
I have Eaton E-lockers in my 2-door sport, While I try to avoid using the front (not a fan of a locked D30) it works great.

Spend the extra money on a selectable locker... bering locked all the time is a total pain and REALLY hard on parts.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Do some research on limited slip in the front. I know people run them, but they're not good on a daily driver in a snowy climate (arguably a bit dangerous). There's a reason Jeep doesn't offer it as an option. Limited slip rear and selectable front are a good combo. Get the eaton e-locker. Cheaper than air lockers and you don't need a compressor. Pretty affordable.
I live in the Northeast and we get plenty of snow, never had an issue with the TT in the front.

Quick Reply: Lockers: how much better are they?