Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loctite Differential Cover

Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loctite Differential Cover

I bought the Kryptonite diffential covers and my bolts with lock washers keep loosening up. Think its to late for my bearings now, but the blue loctite is starting to sound like the way to go from here on out. Any body do this on there covers or it the threads to small?

Anybody else replace there differential, pinion bearings and seals for the first time? Looks easy enough on YouTube
Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive never had my diff cover bolts come loos on any of my vehicles ever. whats your diff cover made of? alum?

all ive ever done is use black rtv and a felpro gasket.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
ive never had my diff cover bolts come loos on any of my vehicles ever. whats your diff cover made of? alum?

all ive ever done is use black rtv and a felpro gasket.
No, it's got a 5/16 steel flange. Got me thinking the allen screw threads that came with it, may be under size or something.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had that issue. Sounds very weird. Also replacing the stuff you are talking about requires some special tools and knowledge. Be very careful playing around in your rear end. I would not advise it under any circumstances if you have never done it before.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

No to Loctite on those bolts. The holes are closed so you can hydrolock the bolts to the point where you cannot compress the loctite anymore and you'll think the cover is tight.

No issues with losing bolts here and I run a bead of RTV around the cover. Something else is going on there.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
No, it's got a 5/16 steel flange. Got me thinking the allen screw threads that came with it, may be under size or something.
yeah something sounds odd. if it was me i would just go buy some grade 8 flange head bolts from ace and use them. its what i normally do and what i did when i got the teraflex covers for my jk as well.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
yeah something sounds odd. if it was me i would just go buy some grade 8 flange head bolts from ace and use them. its what i normally do and what i did when i got the teraflex covers for my jk as well.

I wish I could do that, but i could take a pair of calipers and compare the major diameters from Ace Hardware
BTF Chrysler 8.25 Kryptonite Differential Cover BTF11014 ? Blue Torch Fabworks, Inc.

As for the Pinion Bearings, I'm going to see if the dealer will honor the warranty. It was one of the perks in buying it new in 2008. Not sure if this dif cover will void it.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Never had that issue. Sounds very weird. Also replacing the stuff you are talking about requires some special tools and knowledge. Be very careful playing around in your rear end. I would not advise it under any circumstances if you have never done it before.
Yeah, guy at work said he's had 3 attempts and failed today. Why i went to the dealer today
Old 12-01-2015, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DKJEEP

Can't learn if you don't do it... It's not an impossible feat they do it every day, do your research and if it's not a daily driver go for it.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Update, went to the dealer and asked if they would honor the drivetrain warranty. Mentioned he'd take pictures and submit it to the manufacture. Then went on to tell me it would probably take a week for them to complete it.

That was a deal killer, so went on down the road to see about parts (Bearings2seals) to do it myself. The price was $250.00 total for parts and figure it would be a 2 day job for myself.

Then my third option, went on to 4Wheel Parts and they could do it in a day without the stress of me doing it right the first time for $700.00.

It's my daily driver and putting on the currie control arms, made me have second thoughts on the warranty route

PS; Thought of using the cut out gasket maybe the reason for the bolts working themselves free. RTV from here on out

Last edited by JK08MCS; 12-05-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Loctite Differential Cover