Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOD Rear bumper--linked door or not?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LOD Rear bumper--linked door or not?

ok-i'm obsessing over an LOD rear bumper & tire carrier. what are the pros and cons of the linkage to the stock rear tailgate vs not attched? i like the simplicity of just opening my tailgate and not needing to worry about opening the tire carrier as well. what is the downside? how easy is it to swing the tire carrier away from the tailgate to clean and wash?

do folks like this bumper/tire carrier combo?

thanks
steve
Old 07-09-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old jeep had the LOD rear bumper/carrier and my current jeep is running an AEV rear bumper/carrier linked to the tailgate. As minimal a step as it is to open the carrier then open the tailgate I don't see myself going back to a no link setup. I have a 37" tire on the AEV making the tailgate hard to reach in places to clean, but the convenience of opening the back with one hand makes up for it.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
ok-i'm obsessing over an LOD rear bumper & tire carrier. what are the pros and cons of the linkage to the stock rear tailgate vs not attched? i like the simplicity of just opening my tailgate and not needing to worry about opening the tire carrier as well. what is the downside? how easy is it to swing the tire carrier away from the tailgate to clean and wash?

do folks like this bumper/tire carrier combo?

thanks
steve

Steve, a lot of it will depend on your use of the vehicle. If you are wanting to add accessories such as a trail rack, jerry can/rotopax mounts, etc then you will need the non-linked version. If you don't plan on adding any of the additional accessories I would personally lean towards the linked carrier as it is much easier for day to day use. Give me a call at 866-601-5340 if you have any specific questions as we do quite a lot of business with LOD.

-Tim
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

part of the reason i like the LOD is for the stuff you can add..so yes, i'll be adding the trail rack and side carriers for rotopax. do people prefer the mid with or full?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
part of the reason i like the LOD is for the stuff you can add..so yes, i'll be adding the trail rack and side carriers for rotopax. do people prefer the mid with or full?
That is going to be a personal preference. If you are planning to keep full fenders for the life of the Jeep then the Full width will offer you a bit more protection as it extends to the edge of the flare. If you think you might go to flat fenders eventually then I would go for the Mid width.

-Tim
Old 07-09-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed a LoD rear bumper and carrier gen 4 door linked. At first I thought I would have preferred the other style but after using it I am glad I have the linked one... As much as I open the gate having to unlock the carrier then the door it would be a PIA

Very happy with the bumper

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Last edited by htm7765; 07-09-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the stubby gen 4 linked bumper. It's been great. I do believe that one jerry can/rotopax holder and the trail rack are compatible with the gen 4 linked carrier.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a full non linked. I bought it used and really wanted the stubby until I went to the Rubicon. My buddy slid off a rock and ended up with body damage because there was no bumper to hit. I like stubby looks, but the protection offered by the full width is more important than looks.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
I have a full non linked. I bought it used and really wanted the stubby until I went to the Rubicon. My buddy slid off a rock and ended up with body damage because there was no bumper to hit. I like stubby looks, but the protection offered by the full width is more important than looks.
My stubby goes all the way to the edge of the body and past it a little. How did he hit the body you'd almost have to lay over into a rock to make contact with the body?

Last edited by sjd78; 07-09-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I think the linked allows up to a 40" tire so unless you want to go above 40" tire, I'd get the linked. I have the linked stubby gen 4. Functions great. I have the rotopax mounts (but I only put them on when going out offroading). The only thing I do not like is all the grease that works it's way out over time and get all over the bumper at the hinge.

Quick Reply: LOD Rear bumper--linked door or not?