Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative for aftermarket bumper and a 35" spare tire carrier

Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative for aftermarket bumper and a 35" spare tire carrier

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new lift and set of 35's... At this time I'm happy with the stock bumpers so I'm not really interested in investing in a new rear bumper/tire carrier.

Is there any way to strengthen the stock carrier so that it can safely support the weight of a 35" spare?

Thanks for your thoughts..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sprocket
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new lift and set of 35's... At this time I'm happy with the stock bumpers so I'm not really interested in investing in a new rear bumper/tire carrier.

Is there any way to strengthen the stock carrier so that it can safely support the weight of a 35" spare?

Thanks for your thoughts..
The weight of the tire will still be on the tailgate. I would look at or fab's tire carrier and genright's. Both allow you to run no rear bumper
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I think or-fab makes a carrier that bolts into the tub

I'll look for a link.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12045_512X_PG.htm
Nice but $$$
Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the OR-FAB...it is a pain in the rear to install, but once installed, it looks great!...I recommend that you paint it; mine started rusting withing a month.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprocket
Is there any way to strengthen the stock carrier so that it can safely support the weight of a 35" spare? Thanks for your thoughts..
There is a well known aftermarket manufacturer that sells (or used to sell ?) strengthening brackets that mount behind the trunk sheet metal and support the stock rear carrier for larger sized tires.

I would NOT recommend them, they do not work !!!! Despite whatever strengthening these brackets offer, the spot welds on the trunk sheet metal pop and bust out with the additional weight of the 35s.

Unfortunately you will need an aftermarket rear carrier, or run without a spare and carry an air compressor and tire repair kit.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

As many of the posters above mentioned, you need a tire carrier. The ORFab is the least expensive route I have found and will be ordering it as soon as I sell my stock Sahara wheels. If that is too steep for you, try carrying a patch kit and air with you, or put spare in the back, just secure it, so it isn't bouncing around back there.

I have used my gate for about 5 months. No problems, but I notice the tire back there now and take it off when I 4 wheel. It is just too hard on the gate and hinges that were never intended to carry that kind of weight. I have been lucky.

Seriously, save the money to get something that can take the weight and abuse if you 4 wheel. You won't be disappointed!

Quick Reply: Alternative for aftermarket bumper and a 35" spare tire carrier