Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input on daily driving with 35's vs stock Rubi tires

Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groth797
I've got a 2014 polar edition and at the end of the summer doing the works to do, lift, rims, tires and re gearing. It's my daily driver and I literally drive 60 miles in a day just for work. I'm looking at just a 3inch lift and probably just 33x10.5x18. It's an automatic. What kinda of gearing should I get? I don't drive fast, the fastest I will go is maybe 70, I'm never in a rush, I like to just sit back and cruise!
If you got the 3.73 that comes with the max tow package, you don't need to regear with 33 and the 3.6 engine.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Quick question(s).

How do you get better mileage in the city? In what kind of traffic do you drive?
I would say the lower gearing 4.56 makes his engine rev higher on the highway, therefore costs more in gas.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flaspaq! Not a substitute for gears but defiantly helped by 09 JKU auto with 373s and 34" tires. More of a gain with an auto as it fixes the shift points. Gained about 1.5 mpg.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question(s).

How do you get better mileage in the city? In what kind of traffic do you drive?
NYC. The worst traffic you can drive in except maybe LA.
The reason I get better city mileage is the low gearing. I rev too high for good mileage at 70+ mph.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeG
I'm planning on doing the upgrade to 35's and was hoping to get some feedback on noticeable differences on a DD.

Obviously, without changing the gears it will take away some acceleration. What about handling and driving on the freeway?

Thanks guys!
Regear. You won't regret it and your MPG will go back up. Performance will go way up, especially in 4-Lo and crawling.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I have a 07 with 35's, 5:13 gearing. Great gear ratio, helped my fuel some, but anytime you put a 2-3 inch lift and 35's your fuel economy is going to tank.

On the Plus side, you can see over all the new cars or drive over them if you have too.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick question(s). How do you get better mileage in the city? In what kind of traffic do you drive?
This is a product of gearing. Keep in mind that wind drag coefficient is exponential rather than linear. Gearing can be such that it optimizes acceleration at lower speeds over cruising at higher speeds. It is akin to moving a fulcrum in relation to a lever. Tuning in one direction or the other will result in gain AND loss. Move it closer to the load and it will lift more mass but not as far. Move it further from the load and it will travel farther but with less power. When choosing a gear ratio your first consideration should be to determine what your goal is based on your particular application. Heavy rig, crawling, lots of steeps, towing, city driving, choose a numerically higher ratio (= or greater than 4.56). Light weight, flat lander, setting the cruise control at 75mph, slightly lower (=<4.56).
Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Very well put terrabit!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Looking for input on daily driving with 35's vs stock Rubi tires