Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for suggestions on a good complete gear set.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions on a good complete gear set.

So I just got my 285/75R17 nitto ridge grapplers mounted on my 15 JKU and as expected she performs fine in town but lacks a little on the highway with her 3.21 gears. Since it's my DD and I have a 60 mile commute each day I'm not looking to go outrageous with the regear. I figured 4.10s will do me good. Can anybody suggest a good complete set for my Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear axles? I found a set on quadratecs website from Alloy USA for $912. Any other suggestions or reviews on those? Thanks guys!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

If you're going to spend money regearing....get the gearset you think you'll be happy with if & when you decide to go to larger tires. If you have an automatic and only plan to roll 35's or smaller, I'd go up to 4.56s or maybe even 4.88s. For the 3.6L and AT those two seem to be the sweet spot for big tires, with 4.88s being recommended more for 37's. You can definitely find the proper gearset you need cheaper than $900, though. I paid right at $550 for my Yukon 5.13s with master install kits and Timken bearings. I forget which vendor it is, but I'm pretty certain they're here on the forum. With install and everything....granted I had a friend do it for the cost of buying the tools he needed....it cost me right at $1100. Even replaced a bent rear lower control arm with a spare he had laying around. Shop around. you should be able to find the whole package (parts) for a lot less. And again if your'e going to regear....do it once.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

I think it was 4ws.com. I just priced gearsets for the 30 and 44 (Alloy USA), along with master install kits for both and it comes out to like $684. A little higher than what I paid for sure, but still cheaper than what you found. Might have a forum discount code running around here somewhere, too. WOrth calling and asking them.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
I think it was 4ws.com. I just priced gearsets for the 30 and 44 (Alloy USA), along with master install kits for both and it comes out to like $684. A little higher than what I paid for sure, but still cheaper than what you found. Might have a forum discount code running around here somewhere, too. WOrth calling and asking them.
Thanks for the mention!

We sell Yukon, Alloy USA and Revolution. The gear kit you purchased was probably this one:
4WS.COM Jeep Wrangler JK Gear and Install Kit Package (Front/Rear)

We aren't allowed to advertise the brand of that kit, but if you call or PM I can let anybody know in private.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
If you're going to spend money regearing....get the gearset you think you'll be happy with if & when you decide to go to larger tires. If you have an automatic and only plan to roll 35's or smaller, I'd go up to 4.56s or maybe even 4.88s. For the 3.6L and AT those two seem to be the sweet spot for big tires, with 4.88s being recommended more for 37's. You can definitely find the proper gearset you need cheaper than $900, though. I paid right at $550 for my Yukon 5.13s with master install kits and Timken bearings. I forget which vendor it is, but I'm pretty certain they're here on the forum. With install and everything....granted I had a friend do it for the cost of buying the tools he needed....it cost me right at $1100. Even replaced a bent rear lower control arm with a spare he had laying around. Shop around. you should be able to find the whole package (parts) for a lot less. And again if your'e going to regear....do it once.

Thanks for the info. I definitely planned on shopping around before dropping the hammer on a set. Any idea how the 4.56s perform as far as mileage? I know I know, it's a Jeep and fuel mileage just doesn't go with Jeep. But it is still my daily driver doin 60 miles a day and the occasional 1400 miles round trip to visit family.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

This is just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have the same questions.

I have a '15 JKU Willys edition, with new 35" Nitto Dune Grapplers and AEV 3.5" lift. I need to gear up from 3.73 because the engine really lugs now. We mostly play on the Oregon Dunes instead of rock crawling. You recommend 3.73 --> 4.56 ? Can I do the minimal install kit with 34k miles on the odometer? What about new axle shafts? Do I really need them? Should I do lockers at the same time and replace the LSD's? What about rec's on strengthening the front Dana 30?

Did the lift kit myself but have some worries about tackling the gearing in my garage. I've never done anything like it.
Since the original poster also has a '15 JKU going for a similar setup, maybe he has the same questions.

Thanks! Marcus

Last edited by schweizer; 09-29-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schweizer
This is just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have the same questions.

I have a '15 JKU Willys edition, with new 35" Nitto Dune Grapplers and AEV 3.5" lift. I need to gear up from 3.73 because the engine really lugs now. We mostly play on the Oregon Dunes instead of rock crawling. You recommend 3.73 --> 4.56 ? Can I do the minimal install kit with 34k miles on the odometer? What about new axle shafts? Do I really need them? Should I do lockers at the same time and replace the LSD's? What about rec's on strengthening the front Dana 30?

Did the lift kit myself but have some worries about tackling the gearing in my garage. I've never done anything like it.
Since the original poster also has a '15 JKU going for a similar setup, maybe he has the same questions.

Thanks! Marcus
4.56 over the 3.73 yea. if your alredy doing the r&p its just makes sense to do the rest of the bearings while you are there to be in the safe side. New axle shafts are not nessary unless you are breaking your current ones. Lockers VS lsd is up to your personal prefrence.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There are fear charts put on the interwebs that will give you a better understanding however as mentioned in previous posts spend the money once.

I have 5.13's in 2011 JKU running 35's with new 37's coming in a couple months. I have been running the 5.13's for over a year.

As for vendors check out Northridge 4x4 and Rebel Offroad. They are forum sponsors and usually have package deals going.

Lastly if you have not already purchased a programmer I would highly recommend getting one. So that you will not put your Jeep into limp mode after the gears are installed.

R/
Will
Old 09-30-2016, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok last post and probably the most important is to find a shop that does gears and does them right. Nothing worse than paying to have gears done and having to go back because of a spin bearing.

Since you have 3.21's you will need new carriers so that will add some to your bottom line.

R/
Will
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

G2 and Yukon are supposed to be the top ones
Consider what tires/lift/ accessories you will be going with in the future..
IF you PLAN on getting up to 35 or 37's in the future... then get the 4.56 or 4.88's... you will run higher RPM's until you get bigger tires.. but when you do get the big meats you will thank the jeep gods you got the taller gears
And since you have 3.21's now.. you need new carriers... consider dropping locker in while the pumpkins are open...
I did my 2011 in march, so its a little different because of the engine/trans... went from 3.73 to 5.13 and VERY HAPPY with my choice... 37's in the future...
a good shop will charge you from $1200-2500 depending on what you want to drop in... but make sure the shop KNOWS how to set jeep gears..

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions on a good complete gear set.