Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of Axle Talk

Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by EscFmHere
It will be a while, but I want to learn as much as I can, before I pull the trigger on any mechanical mods.
Good call. The perfect gears for 'you' can be difficult to determine, so the more time you spend looking into it the better off you will be. There are plenty of gearing threads to read through for opinions, but remember to note the specifics of the replies. (do they have a different engine/transmission, live at altitude, all in town or like to cruise at 90, etc, etc.)

The best bet would probably be to hook up with some local jeepers and see about getting rides in jk's with that tire size and a couple different gear ratios.

When the axles are torn apart is a great time to add traction, so if you are thinking about lockers or limiteds at all, do some more research on that.

If you end up with a front d30 and 3.21's, you will need to replace the open carrier in that axle. Minor expense, but worth noting.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
35" rubber is easy on JK Rubicon Dana 44s. You might want to get some C gusset reinforcements welded in and maybe even as far as a truss on the front axle unless you plan on upgrading to a beefier axle down the road. I have been driving with 4.10 ratio and 35" tires for over a year now and will fully admit I could use taller gears. 4.56 for just a mall crawler is great, 4.88 puts it in the rock crawler range and could be equipped with 37s down the road.
I read an interesting conversation, with an engineer from Dana. He advised that welding actually weakens the metal, regardless of the perceived gain of the reinforcements.

To your point, he advised replacing the axles if 37" or more is desired.

I want legit capability, beyond the mall, lol, but 35" will do for RV dingy duties, moderate trail use, and keep her in the garage.

Thanks for the advice and info.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The best bet would probably be to hook up with some local jeepers and see about getting rides in jk's with that tire size and a couple different gear ratios.

When the axles are torn apart is a great time to add traction, so if you are thinking about lockers or limiteds at all, do some more research on that.
Thanks, you guys all have great advice.

I hope to do just that, go on some Jeep runs and such.

Fortunately, or not, I started a little late, so I have a Hard Rock, with everything. Only compromise was the automatic (for the wife) and 3.73 gears...the topic of this thread.

I am really impressed with the amount of time the folks in here spend, trying to help eachother! Just like I have learned to love the "Jeep Wave" on the road, this is going to be a great experience.

Quick Reply: Lots of Axle Talk