Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

zip tie the transfer case shifter cable.

side markers turned into blinkers mod.

tucking the front seat belt straps into the plastic molding to stop the flapping noise when the doors are off mod.

remove the torx bolts from the door hinges and "toss" them.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two dr should not even come with a back seat, can't get back there any way, drill the mirrors, side marker light mod to flash, get rid of the hard top for the next few months.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi with trek top 1.jpg
Views:	6333
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	59671  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn over the rear view mirror to gain more vis out the front and get a better angle for looking backwards.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

I know people can search for your mods but would be nice if you can post pics or links! I know I am going to be searching these so far.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut the cup holder insert in half, so I can have a big drink in one half, and a smaller drink in the other half.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Cup-holder-mod
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought some window screen material and made a rear window screen when camping.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-window-screen.

I have tons of low cost, DIY mods...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

Muffler delete if you feel inclined towards loudness (and getting rid of that heavy POS attached to your bumper) $20 including paint and parts

Bedline the grill $7.50 for paint, +$2 if you don't have sandpaper lying around

HID conversion $55 shipped via Ebay (VVME brand)

Superior Axle Tube Seals $70 (if you have D44 up front)

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers $200 full set

OH rear spring retainers ~$50-75 if you plan on upgrading suspension and flexing off-road. Teraflex 2.5" BB $265 if you're a DIYer and are handy with a floor jack.
Those are the cheapest mod's I can think of... PA system ~$250, Lockpick V2 ~$250 if you have the MyGig Navi, Painting stock rims ~$75

Last edited by runit3; 04-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Default more cheap mods

I'm always looking for places to put stuff on road trips. I put a Napolex stick-on small stuff holder in the blank panel on the lower dash near the shifter. I want to put another one right below the lid on the center console. They are Japanese, but maybe they can be found online?

Another mod I did for my soft top was to drill those plastic clips that go on either side of the tailgate to hold the rear window channel in place. Mine always popped off until I put them on with some self tapping screws.

Extending axle breather tubes

tailgate gas strut to hold it open
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

fender chop, stock stubby front bumper, e-disco flip, marker light blinker (not compatible with fender chop, lol), cup holders in rear bumper... there are many many free mods. the write ups for these mods can all be found by doing a search. they kept me sane while i was laid off for 4 months. i was able to do mods but i didn't have to feel guilty about spending money to do them
Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

-The only free/cheap mods I have done so far is to drill out the crappt stock plastic bolts that hold the shifter boot assembly together. I HAD to do this because the dealer broke mine while fixing my clutch. They tried to fix it with super glue, which lasted a day. A little drilling, and a few little bolts and nuts, and I think it gives it a little more personality.
-I used some low profile high streingth velcro to secure the ipod next to the deck.

Quick Reply: Low-cost / Free mods that should be done?