Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major upgrade! Talk me through it.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
What do bumpers and fenders have to do with a 2.5 lift and 35's??? You need neither. In fact you can even squeeze on 35's without even lifting if you want to do some cutting and trimming.
It reads to me as if he is saying you would need to address clearances on the fenders and bumpers. Whether its bumpstops or trimming, ect.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well things have evolved since I started this little thread and i've shifted direction some what. thanks to some good advise I have received here and else where. I've about decided to change the brand of lift and add some other components. I think I will go with a JKS kit. This will include variable rate springs front lower control arms a larger beefier adjustable track bar shocks and a steering stabilizer. The bumper does make a noticeable difference with the added weight (winch and bumper) has given the vehicle a nose down stance which up to now has not made a difference with the stock tires. Still pretty sure about the 33's vs the 35's as I will be on road more than off and the data I can find seems to be in agreement that sooner or later this wheel size (35's) make re-gearing nessisary along with auto tranny shift points I'm already spending a lot and I have to stop the bleeding at some point. The wheels have been ordered but the final decision on tires has not been made yet so as long as the 33's dont make it look like a box car floating over a roller skate I'll be happy. i've looked at the gallery here and there are very few with this combo (2.5 on 33's) and the ones that are don't have real good photo angles so it's hard to tell. if there are any out there please post 4 sided photos and tell me about your rig. Any other thoughts or constructive ideas out thee welcome.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without writing a book here.
33s and "2.5" lifts don't look bad and if your concerned about road manners/gearing stick with the 33s and then go to 35s if and when your budget allows.
While 35s do look great, they aren't for everyone and don't offer that much of an advantage over a true 33. given your end goal I'll be the guy to push you in the smaller tire size direction . My build has similar goals and I'm sitting on 33s on a 1.5" advertised 2.25" actual lift which I'll be swapping 2.5" springs into this summer.
Keep in mind if your going to be really loaded down with gear you will settle down into the suspension quite a bit. The only reason I'm upping my coils is to retain ride height while loaded.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Retired Ranger
Well things have evolved since I started this little thread and i've shifted direction some what. thanks to some good advise I have received here and else where. I've about decided to change the brand of lift and add some other components. I think I will go with a JKS kit. This will include variable rate springs front lower control arms a larger beefier adjustable track bar shocks and a steering stabilizer. The bumper does make a noticeable difference with the added weight (winch and bumper) has given the vehicle a nose down stance which up to now has not made a difference with the stock tires. Still pretty sure about the 33's vs the 35's as I will be on road more than off and the data I can find seems to be in agreement that sooner or later this wheel size (35's) make re-gearing nessisary along with auto tranny shift points I'm already spending a lot and I have to stop the bleeding at some point. The wheels have been ordered but the final decision on tires has not been made yet so as long as the 33's dont make it look like a box car floating over a roller skate I'll be happy. i've looked at the gallery here and there are very few with this combo (2.5 on 33's) and the ones that are don't have real good photo angles so it's hard to tell. if there are any out there please post 4 sided photos and tell me about your rig. Any other thoughts or constructive ideas out thee welcome.
It's a 2" lift w/ 33's -- but close enough. The link in my sig has more.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/memb...-falls-339398/

Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

One more little question if anyone is still reading, My JKU has 3.73 axle ratio a tru-lock diff and a auto tranny. Besides correcting the speedo and possibly the shift points via the computer, are there any mechanical consequences to upping my tire size to 33's from the stock 31's? I've been told I should be good. May be I'm overthinking but I'll be going to the tire store later next week so thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mixed responses

You definitely will get mixed responses here when it comes to gearing. most people will jump on the " you need 4.88s or 5.13s to do ANYTHING" train, and most of them are running the 3.8 which had its downfalls. With the 3.73s, pentastar and Auto youll be fine at 33s. Ideal gearing would be 4.10s and some will even say 456s but alot of those posts(ive seen) are from guys running the older motor or from those who their rig is just a toy..

Ive been running 33s on 3.21s in my 14 for the last 6 months and while some of my shifting has been funky(no recal from procal or other) i havent really noticed a dropoff in performance. my plan was to run the gearing in it untill powertrain warranty ran out and then swap to 4.10s but thats now happening earlier thanks to the holiday giveaway here

a little background,I came from a 2000 XJ into this 2014 JKU which feels like a monstertruck racecar compared to the XJ so with my experience any gearing for power output in the JK crushes what the XJ had when i sold it. will i notice a difference between 3.21s and 4.10s? probably...but if a re-gear wasnt happening id be happy with what ive got and run it!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
What do bumpers and fenders have to do with a 2.5 lift and 35's??? You need neither. In fact you can even squeeze on 35's without even lifting if you want to do some cutting and trimming.

I would go to 35's and skip the 33's unless you are really set on them. Its not that big of a jump and you will likely just regret not going to 35's right off the bat. I had the 2.5 TF coil lift on my last jeep and it ran for 4 years without a single issue. I added a front adjustable trackbar to recenter the front. I also added front adj control arms to dial in the caster a little better but with 2.5 you really don't need them. Drive it and see what you think, it might feel a little flighty and CA's or brackets (AEV etc.) will correct this.
My point is this; If you have a lift with good up travel you will either need to trim fenders or replace them or 35's will rub. I never said he had buy something else. The 35's don't have anything to do with the bumpers, but anybody that has wheeled their jeep knows that the rear bumper quickly gets damaged.

I think 33's on 2 1/2 with a set of bumpers and a winch would take you lots of places and you'd have good recovery points. In my opinion 33's and uncut fenders look better than 35's and cut fenders (which is what I have). A 2 1/2 inch lift doesn't throw the axle that far off center. You'll benefit more from other things first.

Quick Reply: Major upgrade! Talk me through it.