Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission fluid for NSG-370. Has it changed ?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission fluid for NSG-370. Has it changed ?

Hi Guys

I have a 2012 JK with the NSG-370 manual gear box.

I have changed the fluid before and used:

Mopar NSG 370 / NV 3500 Manual Transmission Lubricant. # 04874464. MS-9224, as per the Jeep Manual.

MOPAR 4874464 - MOPAR® Manual Transmission Lubricant - Quadratec

I have been trying to buy some more to change it again. I live in Dubai, where everything gets really hot, so i like to change fluids regularly. The one local agents are telling me that its been replaced by:

Mopar 80W-90 Gear & Axle Lubricant. #68218041. MS-9020, NOT per the Jeep Manaul.

MOPAR 68218041AA - MOPAR® Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 80W-90 for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Dana 30 or Dana 44 Axles - Quadratec

and

The other agent is telling me to use:

Mopar SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant. #04874459. For the NV-4500 / Dodge.

Any info you guys could share would be appreciated. I was under the impression the NSG-370 gear box need fluid formulated for the synchromesh.

I am sure i will get recommendations to use Red Line or Royal Purple...... They are not easily available in Dubai and shipping oil needs to come on a ship and would take at least 1 month. This is OK, if i have no choice.

Thanks.

Regards
Paul

PS: I am happy to use the NSG-370 Fluid if that is what is needed. I have no problem with it.

Last edited by Paul Woodcock; 05-25-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

I've used AMSOIL synchromesh in mine and never had a problem. I def wouldn't use gear oil that isn't recommended for manual tranny's.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 AM
JK Newbie

Hi guys

Thanks for your input.

Is there anyone who has info if there is a change in the transmission fluid

OR are our local agents talking BS???

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently running Royal Purple synchromax, which I used to replace the factory fill at 28k miles. It did make a slight difference, but I am not entirely impressed with how quickly it went back to its "old self", though it still goes into 1st and reverse with more ease. My next fluid change, I am going to give Redline a try.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emptied Each Pocket
I am currently running Royal Purple synchromax, which I used to replace the factory fill at 28k miles. It did make a slight difference, but I am not entirely impressed with how quickly it went back to its "old self", though it still goes into 1st and reverse with more ease. My next fluid change, I am going to give Redline a try.
Funny you say that. My 2013 started making noise under load at around 7k miles. I changed the fluid and found that it was barely half full from the factory and a very thin viscosity. I changed it and for about 3 days the noise was gone and then it came back. I'm with you and plan to try something like redline or royal purple. I mean, it can't make the POS trans run any worse, right? I'm just waiting for the day the trans capitulates and synchros start rolling out of my tailpipe.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Funny you say that. My 2013 started making noise under load at around 7k miles. I changed the fluid and found that it was barely half full from the factory and a very thin viscosity. I changed it and for about 3 days the noise was gone and then it came back. I'm with you and plan to try something like redline or royal purple. I mean, it can't make the POS trans run any worse, right? I'm just waiting for the day the trans capitulates and synchros start rolling out of my tailpipe.
Thanks man, that gave me a good laugh while I sit at work. It definitely took some time to convince myself it's just a jeep thing with the way it shifts compared to every other manual transmission I've owned. Still beats driving an automatic, in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I changed my fluid right at 10,000 miles with Pennzoil Syncromesh. I couldnt find any Royal Purple here locally (though I do use their engine oil and gear fuid for the diffs). To me it made a big difference in the way it felt shifting, didnt feel like i was pulling a stick through mud anymore, and also went into 1st and Reverse easier. I did use 3 quarts of new fluid, 1 was just to flush out ALL of the old stuff. I didnt want any of it mixing with the new, fresh fluid.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission fluid for NSG-370. Has it changed ?