Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Math: Axle shift per inch of lift

Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
How so?
You are just figuring the difference of one leg of a right triangle. C is a constant B is the amount the axle moves up and down, A shows the amount of shift.
My thought is there is no formula that will cover all JKs.
The easy way to see what the shift will be for a particular JK is get a stick the length of the track bar, hold one end on the top bolt, and swing the bottom end downward, watching how much the end moves toward the center of the vehicle.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How so?
You are just figuring the difference of one leg of a right triangle. C is a constant B is the amount the axle moves up and down, A shows the amount of shift.
So you are assigning C as the track bar, B as the distance between the track bar body mount and the axle, and A as the distance from the track bar axle mount to an imaginary vertical line drawn from the track bar body mount to the axle. This line has to include a 90 degree angle for the theorem to apply.

As the axle drops, the distance between the track bar body mounting point and where it meets the axle at a right angle (B) changes, as does the distance between the axle side mount of the track bar and the imaginary vertical line from the track bar body mount (A).

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-19-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You do have to figure the base line to have something to compare it to in order to find the distance it moves but the formula should work on any jeep.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.montereyinstitute.org/cou...container.html
Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 14Sport
So you are assigning C as the track bar, B as the distance between the track bar body mount and the axle, and A as the distance from the track bar axle mount to an imaginary vertical line drawn from the track bar body mount to the axle. This line has to include a 90 degree angle for the theorem to apply.

As the axle drops, the distance between the track bar body mounting point and where it meets the axle at a right angle (B) changes, as does the distance between the axle side mount of the track bar and the imaginary line from the track bar body mount (A).
The 90 degree angle does not change as A changes in length showing the amount of shift. The other two angles are the ones that change.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 90 degree angle does not change as A changes in length showing the amount of shift. The other two angles are the ones that change.
The lengths of A and B change, not the angle.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PT.png
Views:	524
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	652685  

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-20-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

OK. I see what you are saying about the formula. One would have to go out to the Jeep and take some measurements.

What I was getting at was, it can't be said an inch of lift will result in a standard shift that can be said for all JKs, which is what I think the original post was searching for. In fact, the variable nature of the shift value is pointed out in the first post.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ronjenx
OK. I see what you are saying about the formula. One would have to go out to the Jeep and take some measurements.

What I was getting at was, it can't be said an inch of lift will result in a standard shift that can be said for all JKs, which is what I think the original post was searching for. In fact, the variable nature of the shift value is pointed out in the first post.
OK, I see where you are coming at and three there is no basic numbers for lift/axle shift for all vehicles.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's some interesting math here, that I wish I was more adept at constructing.

If the original equation, from the drawing is:

a² + b² = c²

The equation once the Jeep is lifted is:

(a-S)² + (b+L)² = c²

Where L is the amount of lift and S is the amount the axle will shift.

I sat and tried to put my high school trigonometry to work and didn't come up with something even close. The biggest problem is that the equation is not linear. I wish I was better at this. There still would not be any definitive answer, but a formula could be built in which you could plug some number in and get your axle shift.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
There's some interesting math here, that I wish I was more adept at constructing.

If the original equation, from the drawing is:

a² + b² = c²

The equation once the Jeep is lifted is:

(a-S)² + (b+L)² = c²

Where L is the amount of lift and S is the amount the axle will shift.

I sat and tried to put my high school trigonometry to work and didn't come up with something even close. The biggest problem is that the equation is not linear. I wish I was better at this. There still would not be any definitive answer, but a formula could be built in which you could plug some number in and get your axle shift.
Or we can go under our Jeeps with a stick and have the amount of shift in about 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Math: Axle shift per inch of lift