Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxxis bighorn

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis bighorn

So I'm buying a set of MAXXIS Bighorns. 35x12.50r17 at about 60% tread. Does anyone have any reviews on these. They seem like good tires. And I'm getting them for $400 for the 4 of them. Opinions?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I thought they were good tires. Price was low compared to the big names, and they performed well both onroad and on Colorado trails.

I did have some cracking between the tread blocks that went down to the core, though. Discount Tire ended up warrantying 3 of the 5 for that. (from some checking, they did not think it was a big, known, problem with that line of tires. Just bad luck that it happened to me). That said, I would have picked up anther set if they made 37's.

And just to add, I have never bought used tires, so can't really comment on that part. You don't know whether they have been rotated or have some other problem you wouldn't know about until the cash was transferred and you were riding on them. So just a suggestion to check out used tires as good as you can before taking a chance on them.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-03-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a friend who had a set benbrand new with minimal miles and they were wearing pretty quickly in comparison to my coopers.

Used tires aren't an issue if the tires look good and smooth. I've bought and sold a few sets.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine lasted 20k miles. I did not like them as much as my km2's.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought some used 35x12.50x17. Horrible tire. I had balancing problems and rubber cracking. The rubber just broke off in big chunks on the rocks. Dont waste your money.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

I had them on a TJ 35-12.50-15 and loved them no balance issue , great on and off road .
Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chunking on Rocks

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
I bought some used 35x12.50x17. Horrible tire. I had balancing problems and rubber cracking. The rubber just broke off in big chunks on the rocks. Dont waste your money.
No matter what brand you have. Even expensive Nitto tires will chunk out on rocks. Its going to depend on a few factors.

1. The kind of rocks you encounter. Rock gardens are one of the worst places for chunking out.

2. Throttle. Yes Sometimes when I get stuck I like to smoke the tires on jagged rocks

3. Locked or open; if your locked and all the weight of the Jeep is basically on one tire and you start slipping you could grip just right to rip a chunk off.

4. Did I mention throttle???

Chunking tires is part of Wheeling. Eventually its going to happen.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can confirm the above, I've got chunks and etc missing from wheeling my Nittos hard. No tire, even an off road tire, is able to withstand being abused in rock gardens and not loose some rubber.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
No matter what brand you have. Even expensive Nitto tires will chunk out on rocks. Its going to depend on a few factors. 1. The kind of rocks you encounter. Rock gardens are one of the worst places for chunking out. 2. Throttle. Yes Sometimes when I get stuck I like to smoke the tires on jagged rocks 3. Locked or open; if your locked and all the weight of the Jeep is basically on one tire and you start slipping you could grip just right to rip a chunk off. 4. Did I mention throttle??? Chunking tires is part of Wheeling. Eventually its going to happen.
I disagree. I currently have toyo rt's and previously owned bfg km2's. Rock rash, sure. Chunking and cracking no way. If huge chunks of rubber are falling off your tires its bad rubber. What happened to these tires was way outside the norm. This isn't my first rodeo.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Can confirm the above, I've got chunks and etc missing from wheeling my Nittos hard. No tire, even an off road tire, is able to withstand being abused in rock gardens and not loose some rubber.
Yep.. Honestly when I first look at a Jeep I check the tires. If they have scars on them I know they are legit. If they don't well either they have a spare set of wheeling tires and rims... Which I want bad..... or they don't do rocks... which is cool as well.

Here are my tires I hope they wear out soon so I can get some 37's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Chunking.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	646317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chunking1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	646318  

Quick Reply: Maxxis bighorn