Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak 3.5" Game changer ARB Edition Install

Old 03-21-2015, 02:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One other thing I did, which you may or may not want to bother with, is use a laser to get my axles back to factory center (like I said, I'm particular). With the JK on it's own weight, I found a repeatable flat spot where I could hold my small laser level and mark the axle. For example, in the front I used the side of the crash bar. Then after the lift was installed, I dropped the JK back on it's sneakers and gave it a few good shakes to settle everything. Then measured how far off my axle was from factory. Jack it back up, extend or shorten the bar half that amount and repeat (since the track bar is not perfectly level it needed a second tweak to be perfect). It made it a whole lot easier to find center than measuring from multiple points due to factory tolerances.

No shimmies, shakes, tracking problems, or wobble.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift 001.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	602310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift 003.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	602311  

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-21-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I'm torn between gloss black or trying something a little different like OD green
OD green would be pretty cool. What color is your Jeep? Just try painting a couple of strips of cardboard and tape them to the lower CAs and step back and decide.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jeep is white so pretty much any color wouldn't be an issue. I have a day to ponder..... Or a week as the wife seems to think I need to build some piece of furniture she saw on pintrest before I get started on the suspension
Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
One thing I advise you to check before the install is that the c clips are seated for the bushings. I had one pop loose during my test drive. It looked seated but wasn't.
this happened to me as well and i couldn't figure out what the noise was for a while.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dalearyous
this happened to me as well and i couldn't figure out what the noise was for a while.
Me too! I even read to check them before installing....and I didn't.

The only thing that caused me some confusion were the front brake lines. Wasn't sure if I was to route the new ones the same or not.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal cloak

dream install. best of luck!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, check the C clips. I had a couple out.

The yellow zinc chromate the parts are coated in is actually way cooler than most realize. From a chemical perspective, it basically gives its life to stop rust. Google it... Easier to understand. I live in MI and destroyed my arms in the rocks and had zero rust.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its purely a aesthetics thing for me I just don't like the color gold even my wedding band is black however I might be lazy and not paint the parts.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

It's rust protection qualities continue even if painted. I remember MC suggested you do paint them if you live in a salty location (near the ocean), which I do.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got it all in. I'm going to put a couple miles on it back and forth to work and may get it out to play a little next weekend. I Need to go through my pictures and get organized. Will write more about how the install went and anything of note I encountered during the process soon. I did the entire install by myself in my driveway. The only time I needed assistance was bleeding the brakes. I would recommend having a friend help as it would make things easier but all together it took me basically 2 days start to finish so about 16 hours. Now that I have done this once I could shave a couple hours off that. Stand by for more.........

Last edited by rsbmg; 03-25-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak 3.5" Game changer ARB Edition Install