Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalcloak Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have photos of their MC bumpers on JK if so how do you like them. Trying to decide what bumpers to buy!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Didnt want to start a new thread so i thought id ask this here. I have a '14 2dr rubicon still all stock suspension. Dont really do alot of crawling but find myself in hairy situations and places that im not able to get to. Mostly cruise desert roads and such at higher speeds. Would the duroflex 3.5 kit and the TF/Fox shocks work well for this? Or should i be looking at a long arm setup? If so what would be comparable cost wise. Ill be using 37" tires and some psc fenders.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterDan
Didnt want to start a new thread so i thought id ask this here. I have a '14 2dr rubicon still all stock suspension. Dont really do alot of crawling but find myself in hairy situations and places that im not able to get to. Mostly cruise desert roads and such at higher speeds. Would the duroflex 3.5 kit and the TF/Fox shocks work well for this? Or should i be looking at a long arm setup? If so what would be comparable cost wise. Ill be using 37" tires and some psc fenders.
Go with the 2.5" kit. You'll get a good 3". Lift has nothing to do with flex. Given that you have a 2 door, I'd highly recommend the OME shocks, unless you want a stiff ride. The MC coils and OME shocks are an ideal pairing.

If you want more flex, spend a few extra dollars and get the MC overland fenders and then you can run less bump stop and get more flex.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Go with the 2.5" kit. You'll get a good 3". Lift has nothing to do with flex. Given that you have a 2 door, I'd highly recommend the OME shocks, unless you want a stiff ride. The MC coils and OME shocks are an ideal pairing.

If you want more flex, spend a few extra dollars and get the MC overland fenders and then you can run less bump stop and get more flex.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

finally tested my ARB game changer 3.5 on the rubicon trail this weekend. It's a JKU with 35 inch tires and open diffs (front & rear) - it made it thru without the need for winching (although we bypassed little sluice and i had a great spotter) and just a little it of damage. it's a pretty awesome lift and it kept enough of the wheels on the ground to keep moving forward. cant wait to get some Dana 60s and 40"s on that thing and see what it can really do......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1365.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	574214
Old 09-03-2014, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11709.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	574216Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	574217

Picked mine up yesterday. Got to get her out and play. 3,5 Metal Cloak with Fox
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the 2.5 ARB Dual Rate plus the adj Upper Rear Control Arms on my 2 dr JKR this weekend. The directions leave a lot to be desired in my opinion especially as it relates to setting up the control arms. My front uppers are set too long at the moment so my caster is off. That will get changed this weekend.

After struggling through the front suspension on Saturday, I found this website Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » TeraFlex Jeep JK Wrangler 4″ Flex Arm Lift Installation Write-Up. The rear went so much better because of it.

Also, there was no mention of what to do with the front brake lines. Had to google that as well to see people routing behind the shocks. But, overall I like the quality of the parts. Can't wait to fix my caster as the steering is quite flighty at the moment.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by afletche
finally tested my ARB game changer 3.5 on the rubicon trail this weekend. It's a JKU with 35 inch tires and open diffs (front & rear) - it made it thru without the need for winching (although we bypassed little sluice and i had a great spotter) and just a little it of damage. it's a pretty awesome lift and it kept enough of the wheels on the ground to keep moving forward. cant wait to get some Dana 60s and 40"s on that thing and see what it can really do......

Attachment 574214
The lift really has almost nothing to do with performance on the trails. Lockers would give you more benefit then 3.5" of lift with 35" tires on the rubicon.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing i forgot about was that the directions are clearly for 2007-2011 JKs. There are a number of changes to components that I did not know about. First, you will not have to cut off the upper CA bolt on the passenger side. There is ample room to remove it. However, getting to those UCA upper bolts is a pain. There are heat shields installed that can and will cut you like a fish. lol. Ask me how I know.

Also, the exhaust spacer is a less than desirable way to fix the driveshaft issue. A 1350 is definitely in my future. As for the spacer directions, I was able to cut off the button weld easily enough with an angle grinder but was not able to push the pipe in any farther. So, i pulled the pipe out as far as I could without removing anything else. Then, used a sawzall to cut through it. Pulled the remaining inch or so out of the pipe. After that I was able to push the pipe in farther allowing for the the spacers to go. Really, I am going to hit up an exhaust shop and have them do something more permanent at some point. This should suffice with regular checks of the bolts, etc.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The lift really has almost nothing to do with performance on the trails. Lockers would give you more benefit then 3.5" of lift with 35" tires on the rubicon.
I know that lockers would have helped a lot more, but if you don't have them it's pretty important that you keep as many wheels touching the ground as possible, which is where having long enough shocks/springs comes in. Now maybe (Ok, definitely) I could have taken better lines but with the long wheel base JKU I was scraping a lot on the underside coming down big sluice and up cadillac and was glad of the 3.5" lift. I'm pretty sure it would have been very ugly if I'd tried to do it with the 2" coil spacers I had on before.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread