Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 AM
THT
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?

With all the threads on what did you do to your Jeep today? I thought a central location for all the mods we regret would also offer some insight for others in their builds.

For myself the biggest regret was not having a clear enough end goal for my Jeep, impatience. Since getting parts can be a huge PITA in Canada. Settling for choice #2 when a wait of 2-3 months would have saved money and aggravation in the long run, when you buy twice, install twice and then screw around trying to sell the parts.

2nd regret getting scared off by all the nay sayers not getting 35's out of the gate. With the 2012 the power is fine.

3rd regret is the weight i am at 6000 lbs with no passengers, the armour, recovery gear, tools and equipment add up quick. But they saved my ass on numerable occasions(especially on Escalator). However, if I did it again I might try to mitigate the weight with more aluminum. Up here we have lots of rock, and trees trees trees anyone with experience with aluminum armour feel/and or bumpers free to chime in. Longevity etc.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing of others experience.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a jeep.
Now I'm always broke, and my jeep is only half built!

Haha but sure is fun!(: lol
Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuffy overhead console. Knocked my head on it a dozen times. Sucks when you have to spend half a run bleeding out of your skull. I should have went with one of the small CB's that can be mounted on the center console instead of the Cobra 29.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Everything smittybilt, the aggravation is not worth the savings.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex quicker disconnect. Bushings on the disconnects were so right it was impossible to disconnect without a sludge hammer. After getting it off, good luck getting the thing reconnected in the trail without damaging the bushing. Do not buy.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Regret getting 33's because they would fit with no lift. Got 33 x 16. Then a month later, getting the RK 2.5" max travel.

Of course, then wanted 35's. Got the 35's with 15 x 8 wheels because there weren't any 35" x 16 tires so had to dump the wheels too. Then 2.5" wasn't enough lift, so replaced the springs with 4" Evo. Then had to replace the rear shocks because they weren't long enough.

At least I got the springs for free because someone got 4" and should've gotten 2.5", so we traded.

Also regret getting Ace + Rubi rails. Not enough clearance for rock crawling. Sold them and got weld on Evo rails.

Last one -- did an axle swap, got rid of the D30 and replaced with a Rubi front D44. Regret sleeving the housing. Now 35 spline shafts and ARB that require 35 spline shafts will not fit.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Getting a jeep. Now I'm always broke, and my jeep is only half built! Haha but sure is fun!(: lol
Amen brother lol. Im starting to hit the range more than the trail. Its cheaper to feed 223 rather than mods/fuel. Love my jeep though
Old 04-13-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lange side mirrors: entirely useless. No visibility. Whistle while driving. Shake endlessly.

Bestop Safari top: not compatible with their own Duster cover, makes sounds like a cracking bullwhip as you drive and the fabric flaps in the wind. Worse that getting rained on and a sunburn.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

33's...a waste of money and time!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

My only regret was waiting so long to buy a Jeep. They are so much fun!

Quick Reply: Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?