Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rusty's winch mount for my 14 x. Wouldn't let me return it so I installed it. Broke a grade 8 bolt and ended up with 8 stitches in my finger. To add to it all the hardware is rusted and powder coat is coming off.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pro comp lift. Crap!!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not going strait to a long arm lift
Old 04-13-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've done pretty well about waiting for parts, and only getting what I want the first time around. Waited 2 years for my lift, got 33s instead of 35s, however it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up ($450 for all 5, damn near new), and I don't regret it... When I've been stuck, it hasn't been because of my tires. I'l get 35s when these wear out.

However I think my main money waster has been on lighting. I've gone through several sets of headlights (1 set Hella's (broke), 1 set Cibies (broke - hot glass/cold mud don't mix), 1 set HIDs, another set of Hella's, then finally some TL LEDs - which I'm happy with).

And that's headlights... aux lights has been even worse, having gone though several different setups - however mostly on my old jeep. I've been slightly better (only slightly) with this jeep. But only going with HID lights isn't cheap. I just wish I could find exactly what I wanted the first time around... Although I think I'll stick with my current/future setup (haven't mounted it yet), if only because I've kind of given up on finding that one that does exactly what I want. I haven't even touched LEDs yet because I don't think they'll accomplish what I'm looking for.

Driving lots of night driving over long distances in the summer with all the wild life we have up here, one wants lots of decent lighting to see them before you hit em.

Last edited by Septu; 04-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Buying a Jeep with the 3.8 engine.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isaidme
Buying a Jeep with the 3.8 engine.
seems like it is easier to do an engine swap with the 3.8 because more kits availlable.

Just put a nive 6.4 SRT8 from a grand cherokee and you will be fine !

For me the thing I regret is to have spended money on a steering stabilizer.. I didn't see any difference at all with or without and the jeep run just fine without it.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed. Already rethinking some things.

I bought my JK with 3.21 gear ratio. Wish I would have paid more attention and went lower.
The following users liked this post:
Agent915 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the only thing I regret is getting the Tera Flex hi-lift/roto pack bracket for my tera flex hinge. the Hinge is awesom the hi-lift/roto pack bracket is made out of recycled beer cans. the antenna mount about folds in half with a 3' antenna when driving down the highway.. it is flimsy. Oh and originally swaping my new BFG stock rubi tires for 285/70-17's as they were too small and with in 2000 miles I had to move up to 285/75-17 which I think are the minimum size that should be allowed on JK's. I also wish I would have skipped the AEV 2" lift and went with the AEV 2.5" lift altho actually happy with the 2" lift but you know just 1/2" more is always better
Old 04-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Well no big regrets. More research before buying would have been good early on- I research a ton now. 35s and gears should have been way earlier than it was. And should have gone straight to OME instead of the RC lift, but I didn't know any better at the time. And if I knew then what I know now it would be a two seater, but now I'm used to hauling others sometimes so the seat stays.... For now.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Amen brother lol. Im starting to hit the range more than the trail. Its cheaper to feed 223 rather than mods/fuel. Love my jeep though
Funny you say that I'm about to buy a 223 lol

Quick Reply: Modification you regret. What do you wish you didn't do today?