Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Blue Ox Tow Bar - Flat Towing JK

Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modified Blue Ox Tow Bar - Flat Towing JK

Finally got this done. I modified a Blue Ox Tow Bar JK Base Plate so that it is completely hidden behind an Expedition One front bumper. I chopped down the base plate, raised it about six inches and installed between the frame rails (original was outside the rails), and cut holes in the bumper for the tow bar attachments. The tow bracket is no longer exposed, is out of harms way when offroading, and is very clean looking. This involves welding parts that need to hold the full weight of your jeep and a failure could be disasterous. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK and at the least have professionally welded.

Here is the finished product.

I started with this (the standard Blue OX base plate for a JK, model BX1126). I forgot to take a picture of mine so here is one from Blue Ox website.

Which installs like this. Notice how low and exposed the base plate is (no good for any real off roading)

After the chop job mod it looks like this. Doesn't impact approach angles and no one even knows it is there unless you point it out. The paint matches after a wash

Here is what it took to get there. First, chopped off part of the base plate. This picture shows what I cut off up next to the near finished product (again forgot to take a picture at this step)

Then took a protion of the metal from the part cut off and made bracket tabs in the shape of this card board cut out. This shape if very improtant as you will see later.

I needed to grind off a bulge that protruded on the inside of the frame rail so the bracket would fit flat

Had to cut out a corner off the plate that the bumper bolts to. There are still eight grade 8 bolts holding the bumper so plenty strong (three on each of the two plates on each side plus one on each side directly to the frame, can't see in picture)

Made tabs in the shape of the cardboard and welded them to the cross bar from the base plate bracket

Here is why the shape of the card board cutout was important. The tabs need to be properly shaped on when they are welded to the bracket the entire bracket needs to slide up from the bottom into place. The next 3 photos show that

Then bolted in place directly to frame with two bolts on each side. Blue Ox factory design had 3 bolts but had more force on it due to its size plus the new design actually rests flush with the back side of the plates that the bumper connects to. The base plate can't come out unless the bumper is removed and the plate is ripped off.

Here is the modified bracket once installed

Then cut a hole in the bumper. This took quite a while to make sure it was in the right spot and looked "finished"

I painted the parts with a textured rustoleum that matches the black textured powder coat many of the after markets parts come with. It matches really close once the car is washed

Here is jeep connected to the RV

Note that the RV tow hitch is higher than the jeep, VERY IMPORTANT. Since this mod raises the tow point on the jeep you probably also need to raise the receiver hitch on the RV. The tow bar needs to be flat or sloping up to the RV. If it is sloping down the jeep could "pole vault" into the back of the RV in a panic stop. I was using a drop receiver extension that was installed upside down but that wasn't enough height after raising the tow bracket on the JK. For reference I'm running on 34" tires with a 2.5" lift but plan to go higher in about a year. I the improper angle by removing the RV tow hitch that was installed on the bottom of the RV frame rails and flipping it and installing inside the RV frame rails. It now comes directly out the RV bumper. This raised the tow hitch almost 10 inches so I no longer need the drop receiver. I can supply more details if interested.

Here is the back of the RV when the jeep is not connected. The Blue Ox system sure is slick. Works great and only takes a minute to hook up the jeep to tow
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very very impressive. you got some skills
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Nice Job, you did awsome.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that looks like a really clean job.