Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar big brake kit

Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I haven't noticed this on mine. I will have to look to see if there has been any scrapping on the inside of my wheels. Maybe the difference is because you have a Rubicon which comes with 17" wheels and I have a Sahara which has the 18"?

That Mopar explanation doesn't make any sense. Because if someone "assumed" aftermarket wheels, then they would also assume bigger tires, which means longer brake lines, which the kit does not come with as just discussed. If the calipers rub, it's because someone didn't test it on all the stock wheels or the rubbing was overlooked. That Mopar explanation just sounds like marketing department B.S. in an effort to minimize a mistake.

Originally Posted by Yankee
I recently had the Mopar Big Brake Kit installed (had no time to mess with it). I found that I could not use my stock Rubicon wheels as the inside of the rim (back surface of the "spokes") scraped the outside of calipers. The wheels were getting ugly corrosion anyway so I sprung for some AEV Savegre wheels and put the stock BFG's on them.

The Mopar parts catalog only said that the kit required 17" or larger wheels, so I assumed the stocks would fit. A spokesperson at Mopar said they knew the stock wheels might not fit and had "assumed" aftermarket wheels/bigger tires. Supposedly they will modify the catalog entry.

Yet reading other posts it appears people have installed the kit with stock wheels? Was it just something about my 2007 wheels?

Anyway it was worth the upgrade for me. I noticed a big improvement in stopping power.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-24-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I haven't noticed this on mine. I will have to look to see if there has been any scrapping on the inside of my wheels. Maybe the difference is because you have a Rubicon which comes with 17" wheels and I have a Sahara which has the 18"?

That Mopar explanation doesn't make any sense. Because if someone "assumed" aftermarket wheels, then they would also assume bigger tires, which means longer brake lines, which the kit does not come with as just discussed. If the calipers rub, it's because someone didn't test it on all the stock wheels or the rubbing was overlooked. That Mopar explanation just sounds like marketing department B.S. in an effort to minimize a mistake.

I am fairly sure you would have noticed as soon as you mounted it. It is likely the design and clearance of the 18's is different than my 17".
Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up installing the Dynatrac kit from Northridge4x4. I'm blown away by the difference and the ease of the install. I can now stop my heavy slabs with 37 Nittos and the LS with 5.38 gears !
Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
I recently had the Mopar Big Brake Kit installed (had no time to mess with it). I found that I could not use my stock Rubicon wheels as the inside of the rim (back surface of the "spokes") scraped the outside of calipers. The wheels were getting ugly corrosion anyway so I sprung for some AEV Savegre wheels and put the stock BFG's on them.

The Mopar parts catalog only said that the kit required 17" or larger wheels, so I assumed the stocks would fit. A spokesperson at Mopar said they knew the stock wheels might not fit and had "assumed" aftermarket wheels/bigger tires. Supposedly they will modify the catalog entry.

Yet reading other posts it appears people have installed the kit with stock wheels? Was it just something about my 2007 wheels?

Anyway it was worth the upgrade for me. I noticed a big improvement in stopping power.
Which stock wheel? Rubbing where, exactly?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interested in this kit also, what master cylinder did you guys use with a manual trans?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The master cylinders will remain the same. You just need to either order the correct reservoir from Mopar with the barb for the clutch, modify the reservoir you receive in the kit with a barb or purchase a separate reservoir for the clutch.

I'm going with the 3rd route. The reservoir does not to be very large, you just need somewhere to mount it. Motorcycle brake/clutch reservoirs are large enough and are cheap online. Some cars/trucks come with separate reservoirs as well, so they can be found fairly cheap and mounted on the firewall.

I think Mopar wants ~$150 for the correct one. Might see if the local dealer will let me swap it.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by (none)
The master cylinders will remain the same. You just need to either order the correct reservoir from Mopar with the barb for the clutch, modify the reservoir you receive in the kit with a barb or purchase a separate reservoir for the clutch.

I'm going with the 3rd route. The reservoir does not to be very large, you just need somewhere to mount it. Motorcycle brake/clutch reservoirs are large enough and are cheap online. Some cars/trucks come with separate reservoirs as well, so they can be found fairly cheap and mounted on the firewall.

I think Mopar wants ~$150 for the correct one. Might see if the local dealer will let me swap it.
Gotcha, so the kit is designed with auto in mind with no provision for the clutch connection.

Do you know what the part number is for the reservoir for the manual trans?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

68226976AA.

I think it's listed in the installation manual I believe. Not totally sure though.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Here are the installation instructions that come with the Mopar BBK.

Master Cylinder Assembly
Free File Hosting, Free Video Hosting, Online File Hosting. Large Files and Images up to 5GB - YourFileLink.com

Caliper Assembly
Free File Hosting, Free Video Hosting, Online File Hosting. Large Files and Images up to 5GB - YourFileLink.com
Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM
RCZ
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Extremneon
Gotcha, so the kit is designed with auto in mind with no provision for the clutch connection.

Do you know what the part number is for the reservoir for the manual trans?
Unless something has changed, Mopar doesn't offer a brake fluid reservoir with a second barbed fitting for a manual. When I installed this kit on my 6-speed, I used a Wildwood 7 Ounce Remote reservoir kit, which holds plenty fluid for this application. Part Number is 260-11098.

I did have to adapt the barb fitting, because if I remember correctly the fitting on the Wildwood reservoir is a bit too small to directly connect the factory hose.

Quick Reply: Mopar big brake kit