Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more oompa

Old 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more oompa

oh hi! so i have a 2010 JK that i've owned since new. Just finished paying it off! WOOT! just rolled 150000 kilometers on the odometer. my question is.. when is it too late to add a supercharger or turbo to an engine? as we all know the 3.8L is a joke of an engine. i looked into V8 or diesel swap and i ain't got that kinda of money or time. i have enough time though to do a SC or turbo install. is it too late with that many kms to install something like that? and my short block assembly was replaced around 32000 kms due to casting sediment accumulation so the lower portion of my engine is a bit fresher than the top end and i haven't really abused my engine, no 4000 plus shifts and shit like that. any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. cheers!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check compression and check oil consumption. if both are still in the green go for it. Its not really an age thing that limits boost its a wear issue. As long as the engine isint worn out and leaking you can add boost.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

What gear ratio does the Jeep currently have? A simple regear to a lower ratio will definitely give an instant performance boost.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

thank you for the advice!
Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
check compression and check oil consumption. if both are still in the green go for it. Its not really an age thing that limits boost its a wear issue. As long as the engine isint worn out and leaking you can add boost.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

i was unaware of that. stock 3.73
Originally Posted by Ryan0260
What gear ratio does the Jeep currently have? A simple regear to a lower ratio will definitely give an instant performance boost.

Quick Reply: more oompa