Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Tire or All-Terrain Tire?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Tire or All-Terrain Tire?

It’s that tempting first upgrade for most JK owners. Your first-ever tire choice and it can be a fairly daunting task to pick the right one. A mud terrain isn't perfect for every situation, just as an all-terrain isn't perfect either. It comes down to a compromise on what you want to do, what you expect to do, and what you'll really do with your JK. Let’s take a quick look into mud tires and all-terrain tires.

Read the rest on the JK-Forum homepage.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

I personally would go with a nice AT tire if my JK was a DD. I only went with the MT because I dont have to drive daily and when I do go off-road Im usually alone, so I wanted the toughest tire I could get. I get off road for camping twice a year, so maybe I should have just went with an AT and saved some cash. Really wish I could afford to have 2 sets of tires.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

MT's just make a Jeep look so tough. I wouldn't put AT's on mine.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Go with duratrac AT tire. Very aggressive look and great in snow, mud, sand, everywhere!!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think he is actually asking. Just linking you to an article on the homepage. Isn't this the same guy posting other articles on here?

Might be a lot more useful to introduce yourself and offer a brief comment as to what the purpose is.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've run BFG MT's, Cepek MT's and went with a set of Falken Rocky Mountain AT's. I love them. Super smooth and quiet on the road and I have yet to have a single issue with them offroad. Air them down to 10psi and they stick like glue.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueBeast
I've run BFG MT's, Cepek MT's and went with a set of Falken Rocky Mountain AT's. I love them. Super smooth and quiet on the road and I have yet to have a single issue with them offroad. Air them down to 10psi and they stick like glue.

Except to mud. I had a set. Worst mud tires I've ever owned. Maybe they should call them a "most terrain" tire instead of an all terrain tire.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

I went with Duratracs. If you are asking the question, these give you the best of all around. Great on road conditions, quiet at speed, decent off road, aggressive look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1674874549.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	571225
Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
Except to mud. I had a set. Worst mud tires I've ever owned. Maybe they should call them a "most terrain" tire instead of an all terrain tire.
^^^^^ lol
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

You might want to define what kind of terrain you plan to drive on since there's no one-type-fits-all tire.

My Jeep is my DD and weekend outdoor rig.

Here in WA we have everything from snow/ice to dirt/mud. Since I do not intentionally drive over mud pits but sometimes have to go over mud puddles and I also drive on snow and ice (intentionally) I went with a 35in BFG AT tire set that I only install when going offroad.

For DD I kept the original GY ATs and also got a set of BFG MTs. Both sets are the original 32in sizes that provide a good compromise between performance and fuel economy. The 35in set drops the mileage around 3mpg in the city.

So far there's been nothing I could not go through. When the GY ATs wear out I'll likely sell the rims and keep the two BFG sets.

Quick Reply: Mud Tire or All-Terrain Tire?