Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 8-speed to use with the stock 3.6?

Old 10-23-2023, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 8-speed to use with the stock 3.6?

My 2014 JKUR still has relatively low miles for its age and the 3.6 is just fine for my use, but I would love to do the 8-speed in it to make some of the highway drives a little better as well as the bonus lower first gear. Also, the options for doing an engine swap are not appealing to me (discussion for a whole other thread entirely).

What is the preferred donor vehicle to pull an 8-speed? It looks like the 845RE is what will fit with the least fuss, coupled with a non-Rubicon NP241 or a first-gen JK NP241OR (to match up the output shafts).

I also know there's a BOM for this, but the jeepspeedshop site looks like it's down today so I can't look it up. Bonus internet points if you have that link?
Old 10-28-2023, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out Jeep Speed Shop videos on YouTube. He goes over all that stuff, except the transferase compatibility, I think. The Rubicon T-case would be my preference, if given a choice.
I posted that BOM in my Hemi swap build thread, you can see it there. Todd does not have The BOM on his web site anyway, you have to call him and he'll send it to you.
He'd be the guy to talk to for all the best information you'll need. He's very willing to help. You just have to make sure you call right at his opening time.
Here's a link, post #24.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...-358891/page3/

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 10-28-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Ooh thats going to cost you lots. Firstly you cannot program the JK computer to do what a JL does. Also I am unsure if the tranny is a straight fit or if you have to relocate the TC back or forward. Personally I would sell the Jeep and buy a 2018 or newer JLU.

Quick Reply: Best 8-speed to use with the stock 3.6?