Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on lifts

Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by cGcSumThin
Just read this.....
Modifying a Jeep JK Wrangler: The Lift Question - JK Forum

This explains a lot without the "I know more" syndrome.
This was written because of all the confusion this thread has started.
What are you confused about? I am glad to do what I can to help clear up any confusion you may have.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stating from the new jeep owner point of view, which I am, that reading this thread from start to finish left some unanswered questions for me and then having others opinions/experiences back and forth becomes confusing. People new to this forum and jeeps both read this thread as someone unknown to them offering basic simple advice and then other unknown people sharing their own advice which differs in a matter of opinions.
This was one of the first threads I read from start to finish and not to be rude or disrespectful to anyone who posted here but I don't know who any of you are or your credentials. For all I know you could be a ten year old that just reads a lot of forums, or you could be one of the most qualified jeep mechanics in the country.
We come here to find help from others and to learn from their mistakes, not who is right or wrong cause bottom line if you have a jeep that works for you and does what you want it to safely and doesn't break every time you go out then I don't see a problem. Yea it's not gonna be the perfect setup for the next guy but that is one of the beautiful things that our jeeps give us, the ability to get off the beaten path and express ourselves whether it's stock or sky high. Besides, people trying different things that others would never do is in a part of all jeep owners and that is how we make our jeeps so amazing. Thanks to all of you for the advice you offer. It is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Is there a specific question you have about your jeep? I really didn't see the point of the last post other then reposting you are confused. It will also help people answer your questions if you fill out your profile and be specific on what your goals are with your jeep.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully I'm not misinterpreting anything but I think he wants your write up only as a sticky with out everyone's comments in it. Then have the regular thread continue like it is now. I'm not savy enough to know if that even possible but maybe it is...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

This is a great thread. I actually sat and read the whole thing while I should be working. It has made me rethink the way I want to go about my build.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

I've learned I'm way too stupid to understand most of what Dirt/Planman know and I just want them to tell me what to buy.

Oh yeah I also learned that guys named GJeep are annoying.

That is all. 😳
Old 01-31-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Hammer
I've learned I'm way too stupid to understand most of what Dirt/Planman know and I just want them to tell me what to buy.

Oh yeah I also learned that guys named GJeep are annoying.

That is all. ?de33
Maybe what you want and what Dirtman likes are two different things? Don't be afraid. Read, learn, plan, ask questions, learn more, DO, make mistakes, learn, correct, change, learn, and most of all, enjoy!

There is no perfect Jeep. Every single one is a compromise comprised of compromises.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What a fantastic thread. I've always been of the mindset that adding a "lift" doesn't necessarily give you any more ground clearance but provides a means to do so by adding larger tires.

I myself have stock suspension on my JKUR with the addition of front .75" spring spacers in order to level things out, wheel spacers and flat fenders. I run a 35" tire and most of my offroading consists of overland situations on a weekend camping trip with the occasional mild off road day trip. We're talking 6-9 times a year. My differential clearance is exactly 11" both front and rear. Of course airing down will decrease that but I feel it's adequate for my intended purpose. I run 4.10 gears.

I don't care to be the tallest Jeep. I care about center of gravity and not giving up adequate travel just for a "look".
Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cGcSumThin
from the new jeep owner point of view, this thread left some unanswered questions for me
You just got a jeep and have two posts I have owned 4 jeeps and have been on multiple jeep forums for years and I have unanswered questions.

Read, ask, get out and do. You will always have unanswered questions given that many of your questions can only be answered by you. You will find very few things that are just cut and dried black and white when it comes to modifying jeeps. If you have questions, search and ask, just be prepared to get multiple different answers which should indicate to you there really is no one right answer for any of this. Enjoy your new jeep.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

This should be included with the sale of any Jeep. Maybe add it to the first page of the owners manual, not that many people actually read them.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts