My tires are wearing on the outside!!!

Default My tires are wearing on the outside!!!

So... my tires are wearing more on the outside. I read over the basic do it yourself alignment write up and if I understand it correctly I need to get a set of adjustable control arms to fix this. Does anyone know if I will need to get both the upper and lower arms or can I get away with one or the other?
    2008 Wrangler X
    Automatic
    KC Windshield Mounted Lights
    Xenon Narrow Fenders
    2.5" Rough Country Coil Lift
    1" PA Body Lift
    17" X 8" Cragar Soft 8's
    35x12.5x17 Mud Terrains

Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    2011 Charger Rallye - I still answer PMs if you have any questions about JKs.
    Dad still has his '07 JKU Rubi, Mom has 2011 Overland WK2, and fiancee has 2010 JK, so Jeep is still around.
    Considering looking into a new Wrangler Unlimited. I miss Jeep so bad!

(SOLD) 2008 Black X 2dr 6spd
    MBRP/HIDX/BDS/Goodyear/RallyLights/Coverking
    Rugged Ridge/AEM/Hella/American Racing/Magnaflow
    Rough Country
    /SWAG Offroad

Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFridge View Post
    Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.
    2008 Wrangler X
    Automatic
    Xenon Narrow Fenders
    1" PA Body Lift
    17" X 8" Cragar Soft 8's
    35x12.5x17 Mud Terrains

Quote Originally Posted by UGOTKERN View Post
    Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....
    Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.
    2008 Wrangler X
    Automatic
    Xenon Narrow Fenders
    1" PA Body Lift
    17" X 8" Cragar Soft 8's
    35x12.5x17 Mud Terrains

Quote Originally Posted by derekjm14 View Post
    Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.
    One way to know for sure is to check your toe-in..... Several write ups on this forum including WOL's

This wont necessarily tell if you if yours is bent but it will inform if you need to adjust your tie rod or replace.
    Last edited by UGOTKERN; 05-03-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derekjm14 View Post
    Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.
    No one can answer that without KNOWING what the problem is. Take it to a good tire shop and have them do a proper front end alignment. The cost of an alignment and evaluation is way cheaper than a new set of tires because the old set wore out. I have mine aligned and checked every spring. I guess it's time.
    Pastor Steve

Colorado Mountains = Land of Jeep Trails and Mountain Passes.

2008 Sahara, Jeep Green, 6 Spd., BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, JKS Quicker Discos. Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumper, Spidertrax Spacers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Firefly Antenna....et al

Control arms are not going to fix your problem. Camber is not adjustable on the JK.

If your tie rod is bent you could have too much toe in which would cause the outer edges to wear faster. Measure your toe in.
    "A man has GOT to know his limitations."
    Harry Callahan

9. Default JK-Forum