Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently noticed a metal on metal clanking sound only in 4lo when I shift from park to reverse. A local 4x4 shop told me I need a rear driveshaft. Is this possible? I'm hesitant because I feel a lot of tension when it's about to shift from park into reverse and I'm not too sure that can be driveshaft related. I added 1 quart of trans fluid and it still didn't help. I need your guys help cause I don't wanna shell out 400+ bucks for a driveshaft and not solve the problem. My jeeps specs: 2010 2.5 lift Stocks driveshafts Stock arms Automatic
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I bet he thinks you need a slip yolk eliminter kit.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I bet he thinks you need a slip yolk eliminter kit.
What exactly would that do? Excuse my ignorance I'm always trying to learn about my jeep.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKBud
What exactly would that do? Excuse my ignorance I'm always trying to learn about my jeep.
You don't need one on a jk. If it's still in warranty take it to the dealer. If not find another mechanic.

Just saw you're in Jersey, what offroad shop told you that it was the drive shaft?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The tj's had a slip yolk on the transfer case and need the be eliminated when lifting. Many shops don't understand the diffrences on the JK. The JK does not have a slip yolk so nothing needs to be done.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The tj's had a slip yolk on the transfer case and need the be eliminated when lifting. Many shops don't understand the diffrences on the JK. The JK does not have a slip yolk so nothing needs to be done.
Oh okay got it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
You don't need one on a jk. If it's still in warranty take it to the dealer. If not find another mechanic. Just saw you're in Jersey, what offroad shop told you that it was the drive shaft?
It is still under warranty and I plan on taking it in this week cause I have a gut feeling it's not the driveshaft. I took it to Globex in toms river.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got a second opinion and was told it sounded like slop in the transfer case as if the chain is stretched. What's the possibility of this being the problem?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would doubt you stretched a chain but it is always a possibility
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

So after getting three opinions I got three different answers. A 4x4 shop said it was a driveshaft, a trans shop said it sounded like the transfer case, and the dealer didn't think anything was wrong at all. It doesn't do it every time but when it does it still doesn't feel normal. I'm curious to figure out what the next step is.

Quick Reply: Need Help